shift boot

This is a discussion on shift boot within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; While installing a Kartboy short throw shifter I noted that the stock knob is integral w/the boot. I have a ...

Question shift boot

While installing a Kartboy short throw shifter I noted that the stock knob is integral w/the boot. I have a Momo knob on order (backorder) from fastwrx.com and I'm wondering how one liberates the stock knob from the boot without destroying one or the other.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Have you tried twisting (Lefty loosey)? Japanese cars tend to have threaded shifter knobs and levers

Just to clarify: No problem getting the knob off the shifter. In fact, installed the new shifter and screwed the knob back on. Problem is, although the knob swivels within the boot, it is integrally attached via a threaded nylon stud which is sewn/glued into the boot. Therefore, to replace the knob (which I would like to do, and which I hope some of you have already done) one needs to rip the old (stock) knob out of the boot without destroying it. Question is, how? (This is a 2002 WRX)

Nothing is glued or sewed to the shift knob and boot, just a snap fit. You can just simply pull that the boot off the shift knob when it was still on the shifter. I guess you can still just pull it out slowly side by side.

Just pull up on the knob while twisting. There is a notch on the bottom of the shift knob that holds the boot in place, it is not sewn or glued to it.

Yeah it is snap on to the knob's groove. The boot have a elastic on the top which fixs in the groove on the factory knob. Put the new knob in without the bottom cover ring, then push the boot into the threads of the new knob viola. Mine looks factory perfect. Btw if your new knob uses set screws then put some red locite locktight on it.
    I did, 3600mies and still tight like a drum
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.