Has anyone installed an Auto Dimming Mirror?

This is a discussion on Has anyone installed an Auto Dimming Mirror? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys, I'm picking up my new 04 WRX tomorrow morning. I'm bought it stock and I'm planning to order ...

Question Has anyone installed an Auto Dimming Mirror?

Hi guys,

I'm picking up my new 04 WRX tomorrow morning. I'm bought it stock and I'm planning to order some Subaru options and install myself (before doing the aftermarket mods). I was thinking about getting the auto-dim mirror w/compass.

I did a search, but I couldn't find much info on the install. Is it tough to do? How hard is it to get the old mirror off? Any special tools needed?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Should be easy, it's pre-wired. No special tools needed.

-Jim

No special tools needed. The old mirrors comes off by rotating it 90 degrees. you will need to take out the map light to acces the harness the mirror plugs into. there is a slot on the lens that you put a small screwdriver in to pop off the lens. The remove the two ? can't remember exactly how many off hand. Then the map light should drop dpwn you will see an extra connector that the mirror plugs into. It's really easy takes me about 10 minutes to install, although I have lots of practice. If you buy the mirrior from the dealer there should be instructions in the box that should answer any additional questions you might have.
    Shawn

Don't bother, just tint your back windows

is there a way to turn the auto dim off on the upgraded mirror? i just ordered one tonight, and like the options on it, but i dont always like the dimming effect if i want to be able to spot coppers on my tail before they get all bright and blinky . i know on my monte carlo there was a button i pushed to turn the auto dim off. just wondering. thx
    03, wrx, aspen white, K&N drop in filter, for now waitin for warranty to go bye bye.

Yes it can be turned off. The compass that also comes with it can be turned off as well. When dimming is active there is a green led lit.
    Shawn

also, if the car is in reverse, the auto dim is off as well

hope ur mirror last longer then mine, my dimming function went out at 40k miles, after warranty
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by