Mechanical or Electronic Oil Pressure

View Poll Results: Mechanical Oil Pressure or Electronic Oil Pressue?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mechanical

1 7.14%
  • Electronic

13 92.86%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Mechanical or Electronic Oil Pressure within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just want a quick sensus on how many people are actually using MECHANICAL OIL PRESSURE GAUGE without any problems. ...

Mechanical or Electronic Oil Pressure

I just want a quick sensus on how many people are actually using MECHANICAL OIL PRESSURE GAUGE without any problems.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hopefully a mechanical problem won't be hot oil squirting into the passenge cabin of your car at ~80PSI.

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
    hopefully a mechanical problem won't be hot oil squirting into the passenge cabin of your car at ~80PSI.
    Um, yea. Mechanical Oil Gauges go on the hood of old school muscle cars, not inside modern machines.

-Jim

Don't go mechanical.

well, here's my dilema. I don't have the money to buy those expensive gauges. and was just wondering if anyone is actually using them.

I had a mechanical oil press. guage in my saturn and it did have oil in the line behind the gauge. It is not the safest but you can still mount it in your car. Just be sure there are no leaks. I have a oil press. gaue right now that is mechanical in my subaru but I have not yet hooked it up. Does anyone know what the max oil press. is in the wrx?
    Thanks'
    Robert
    Driving a FWD turbo is like masturbating. It is all fun until you realize that your just f***ing yourself.
    Get a real power AWD Turbo...

i have a mechanical gauge that is not currently hooked up, but once was. pressure is like 80.

i hooked it once and it didn't leak inside the cabin, but it leaked outside - that was my fault though. i used a vaccum line to connect (it's hard to explain) but if only i had the right oil lines, it would've been good.

Originally posted by HighBoostedWRX
    Does anyone know what the max oil press. is in the wrx?
    Thanks'
    Robert
    Off the top of my head guess from the last oil pressure gauge I installed: 100-110psi. 80psi is nominal I believe.

-Jim

Pressure is 100-110 when cold and drops to about 85 when warm at cruising speed. At WOT warm it climbs to maybe 90 max. Mine idles at 28psi when warm.

And yes, I have a mechanical. I got my gauges and pod for a x-mas present andsomehow the wrong gauge was ordered. I had faith in my installation skill and went ahead and put it in. About 8K miles leak free. I will switch over to electronic sooner or later. I would not recommend mechanical.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

thanks for the reply!

I'm installing the mechanical for now and see how it goes. I trust my skills, too. I don't think I will have any kind of problem (knock on wood) as long as I do the job right.

I had a mechanical in my old 4runner (pre-wrx) and while it worked great, I once had a mechanic accidently forget to plug it back in. yeah... stuff like that makes mechanicals suck.

But I can understand the money issue completely.
    How do I shot web?

I have a mecanical gauge that goes from 0 psi -100 psi will this gauge still work or should I sell it and get a different one?
    Thanks
    Robert
    Driving a FWD turbo is like masturbating. It is all fun until you realize that your just f***ing yourself.
    Get a real power AWD Turbo...

Originally posted by NJwrbT-WRX
    Pressure is 100-110 when cold and drops to about 85 when warm at cruising speed. At WOT warm it climbs to maybe 90 max. Mine idles at 28psi when warm.

-joe
    My memory rocks. Thanks for all the stats, Joe.

-Jim

I watch it like a hawk, it is how I warm my car up.

It is amazing how long after the stock temp gauge reaches level that the oil pressure levels off. Maybe a good 5-10 minutes more. I do not redline till my idle pressure is less then 30psi.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I have oil temp for that purpose and to tell me when I'm beating the living crap out of the engine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast