65x4 @ 4ohms or 250x2 @ 4 ohms

This is a discussion on 65x4 @ 4ohms or 250x2 @ 4 ohms within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was looking at this amp: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/thunder4405.cfm The owner's manual says that if you bridge the front channels which are ...

65x4 @ 4ohms or 250x2 @ 4 ohms

I was looking at this amp: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/archive/thunder4405.cfm

The owner's manual says that if you bridge the front channels which are 65x4 at 4 ohms that you get 250x2 @ 4 ohms. How is this possible? I thought if you bridge a channel you get double the watts? This is nearly 4 times the power, whats up?

I aslo looked at this amp: http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products...thunder564.cfm

Its owner's manual says that you can get 280x2 from a 70x4 bridged setup. Whats goin on here?
    "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas"

2000 Camaro SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bridged does not always mean double the power. Those specs should be right.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Oh and what speakers do you plan on hooking up? Just curious.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I think I finally have my system more or less planned out.

I'm going to get either the Boston Acoustics FS60 or RC620 up front and run some 10" sub (JL 10W0?). The amp I'm gonna do is probably the Alpine F450. I'm going to try and fit this under the passenger seat. This will give me 120x2 watts rms up front and 200 watts rms for the sub. I'm also probably going to get a custom fiberglass enclosure made for the spare tire well. A local shop said they could do it for $325 or so. With the sub in the spare tire well and the amp under the seat, there should be less motivation for would be theives to break into my car. It's gonna take me a couple of months to afford all of this, but I think this is my plan. I'll make up my mind on the speakers within a week and run them off my alpine 9813 for a while.
    "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas"

2000 Camaro SS

should be a nice and clean set-up. However, with 120 watts to the doors, be sure to adjust the bass amp accordingly. Your music might come across a little bass-shy, but it is simply a proportioning thing.
    "Failure is only an option for those who try".