center pod install tough?

This is a discussion on center pod install tough? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just wondering if installing a center pod is tough. Would getting a factory installed center pod make it easier to ...

center pod install tough?

Just wondering if installing a center pod is tough. Would getting a factory installed center pod make it easier to install an aftermarket one? My sense tells me yes as all the wiring would be right there for you to use. But I just want to make sure. TIA
    Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I ordered mine aftermarket and it came with all wiring and very simple instructions. Of course, it depends on which gauges you put in the pod - some are more complicated than others.

I recently installed an aftermarket center pod with boost, A/F, and EGT. The install was really easy as the actual pod takes about 5 minutes to install. The wiring is a bit more difficult, but I found it was pretty easy to run vampire taps from the stereo to the new pod.

Considering the dealer will charge about $600 + installation for the stock pod I would suggest that you go straight to the AM application.

My wiring:
    I ran the +/- power to the gauges from the stereo harness
    I ran the ligting +/- power from the lighting wires on the hazard button harness. I did this because the stereo lighting is on all the time and is only dimmable when the headlights are on. I wanted my gauges to be off when the headlights are off and on (and dimmable) when the headlights are on.
    The gauges have been in for a month and everything works great.

Another thought...

If you are installing a boost gauge and want to get all of the tubing, the T-connect, etc. in one shot try WRXTRA.com

They sell a kit for like $13.00 that includes everything you need to install a boost gauge + simple, step-by-step instructions. I bought the kit from them after going to the local auto supply store and not finding everything I needed to complete the install. The other plus is that WRXTRA had the kit to me within a couple days of my order. If I remember correctly, WRXTRA also sells an after-market gauge pod set-up.

Probably more info than you ever wanted, but I hope it's helpful.

Have you had good response with wrxtra.com ? I have e mailed them twice and they have not responded.

I have had good response from WRXTRA, but I really haven't needed much customer service.

I purchased the gauge install kit online and paid via paypal. The next day I was emailed a tracking number and a couple days later the kit was in my mailbox. All of the pieces were high quality and the instructions were easy to follow.

I haven't needed to work with their service department so I can't say much for or against it. If you don't get a response soon I would post it in the Vendor Review section. If WRXTRA checks this board much it may prompt them monitor their email a bit more closely. Good Luck.

Did you buy your EGT gague from them or just the pod ? I notice on their website it says EGT soon. If not what brand of gauges did you buy ?

Actually, I bought the gauges and pod used from someone on this forum. I am using a modified stock pod with a custom faceplate and 52mm Autometer sport comp gauges. The Autometers aren't the best gauges out there, but the price was right and the setup looks good in my car.

i have a defi center pod with blitz blm gauges. I just used the clock harness (+, light,) grounded to a bolt. The hardest part was running the vaccum hose(boost), egt wire (egt) and oil temp sender wire(oill temp). The quality of the gauges also make a difference. I used to have autometer and they were a Bit$h to install. The blitz, although pricier, were much easier.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails blitzgaugesday.jpg  
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

sarcasmo - when you say stock pod...I like this idea, what do you mean buy custom face plate? my understanding is that there is the pod and a metal substructure underneath on the stock pod right? then if you do a custom faceplate you modify part of the metal structure? I could make a custom faceplate, I just have never seen the underside of a stock pod.

Boosted - nice gauges mang... the detail with the tick marks makes them look nice and technical.

Wow.. nice guages, how much did that setup cost ya?
    Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.