Mechanical VS Electrical Gauges
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Mechanical VS Electrical Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking at getting a boost gauge for my new STi, and found the right ones to match the car ...

Mechanical VS Electrical Gauges

I'm looking at getting a boost gauge for my new STi, and found the right ones to match the car (http://www.j-spectuning.com/omori_rr.htm) but what is the difference between mechanical and electrical boost gauges?

Also, I'd like to mount the gauge where the Subaru boost gauge would be located, does anyone make a piece to mount it there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    for boost gauges....a mechanical one uses boost/vacuum to operate the gauge.

An electrical one uses a MAP sensor to send a signal to the gauge. An electrical can respond faster, since there would be less tubing to respond with. A nice chunk of the cost is the MAP sensor

do they look any different usually? i mean, electrical gauges still use analog dials right (i.e. they're not digital), b/c the difference in electrical & mechanical gauges is in how they measure not in how they display info (am i right?)
    Last edited by HardCore; 10-14-2003 at 02:15 PM.

tan
    Still analog dials

Anyone know if j-spec tuning has the omori 45mm boost gauge in stock with the 02-03 colors? They only have the 04 color listed but the pics are of the 02-03 lookalikes.

Doh, now they just removed the pics.... oh well. I guess they don't have them then.

Originally posted by tan

An electrical one uses a MAP sensor to send a signal to the gauge. An electrical can respond faster, since there would be less tubing to respond with. A nice chunk of the cost is the MAP sensor
    Yeah huge difference in price but I got so fed up with kinking the nylon pressure line with my mechanical gauge I decided to bite the bullet and go with an electrical. It's worth it.

Get the electric.. I had a mechanical in my audi and it made a annoying vibration sound.

I'm going to use electricaly guages only..
    They still use analog dials, but you can get some guages with digital numbers, but I think it looks better with analog dails
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Roffa
    Get the electric.. I had a mechanical in my audi and it made a annoying vibration sound.

I'm going to use electricaly guages only..
    They still use analog dials, but you can get some guages with digital numbers, but I think it looks better with analog dails
    Such as integral systems with a central digital display like the SECS system. Offered as a in console arrangement or clock pot replacement(has it's own clock function as well).

Originally posted by schischwein
    Such as integral systems with a central digital display like the SECS system. Offered as a in console arrangement or clock pot replacement(has it's own clock function as well).
    Well I'm getting defi bf, or omori analog \electrical guages.
    I don't want digital numbers unless I get so many sensors I don't have room for any more guages..

If you don't want analog dails you can get a digital number displays like the Hks camp, or the Defi link display
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

tan
    If you had a lot of money lying around....

http://www.impconcepts.com/audis4boostgauge.htm

I don't know if there's enough space in the tach for the leds though

Originally posted by tan
    If you had a lot of money lying around....

http://www.impconcepts.com/audis4boostgauge.htm

I don't know if there's enough space in the tach for the leds though
    Hmm this mod doesnt cost much. It's You just need a boost sensor and some radioshack stuff...

But I don't think this looks as good as the guages..
    I was thinking of doing this mod when I had my Audi, but choose to get some guages for it instead.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Originally posted by tan

So does an electrical guage need a control center, or any other extra hardware?
    Speed Is Money, How Fast Do You Want To Go?

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=412927

Originally posted by Sihota
    So does an electrical guage need a control center, or any other extra hardware?
    Electronical guages needs a sensor, some wire and the guage itself. These things normally comes with the guage.

Defi however guages needs a control center, but the nice thing with those guages it that you only need to pull one wire from the "control center" to the guage cluster. i think this is nice because it minimize the number of errors, firehazards, looks cleaner\nicer (whenever you pull out the dash)
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

so as far as accuracy, there isn't a difference?
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

I think the electronic one would respond faster to rapid changes as well as be more accurate overall. I know my Greddy boost gauge definatly moves faster than the factory one when I tap the gas and get on and off the throttle.
    I created my avatar.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.