Mechanical VS Electrical Gauges

This is a discussion on Mechanical VS Electrical Gauges within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm looking at getting a boost gauge for my new STi, and found the right ones to match the car ...

Mechanical VS Electrical Gauges

I'm looking at getting a boost gauge for my new STi, and found the right ones to match the car (http://www.j-spectuning.com/omori_rr.htm) but what is the difference between mechanical and electrical boost gauges?

Also, I'd like to mount the gauge where the Subaru boost gauge would be located, does anyone make a piece to mount it there?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    for boost gauges....a mechanical one uses boost/vacuum to operate the gauge.

An electrical one uses a MAP sensor to send a signal to the gauge. An electrical can respond faster, since there would be less tubing to respond with. A nice chunk of the cost is the MAP sensor

do they look any different usually? i mean, electrical gauges still use analog dials right (i.e. they're not digital), b/c the difference in electrical & mechanical gauges is in how they measure not in how they display info (am i right?)
    Last edited by HardCore; 10-14-2003 at 01:15 PM.

tan
    Still analog dials

Anyone know if j-spec tuning has the omori 45mm boost gauge in stock with the 02-03 colors? They only have the 04 color listed but the pics are of the 02-03 lookalikes.

Doh, now they just removed the pics.... oh well. I guess they don't have them then.

Originally posted by tan

An electrical one uses a MAP sensor to send a signal to the gauge. An electrical can respond faster, since there would be less tubing to respond with. A nice chunk of the cost is the MAP sensor
    Yeah huge difference in price but I got so fed up with kinking the nylon pressure line with my mechanical gauge I decided to bite the bullet and go with an electrical. It's worth it.

Get the electric.. I had a mechanical in my audi and it made a annoying vibration sound.

I'm going to use electricaly guages only..
    They still use analog dials, but you can get some guages with digital numbers, but I think it looks better with analog dails
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Originally posted by Roffa
    Get the electric.. I had a mechanical in my audi and it made a annoying vibration sound.

I'm going to use electricaly guages only..
    They still use analog dials, but you can get some guages with digital numbers, but I think it looks better with analog dails
    Such as integral systems with a central digital display like the SECS system. Offered as a in console arrangement or clock pot replacement(has it's own clock function as well).

Originally posted by schischwein
    Such as integral systems with a central digital display like the SECS system. Offered as a in console arrangement or clock pot replacement(has it's own clock function as well).
    Well I'm getting defi bf, or omori analog \electrical guages.
    I don't want digital numbers unless I get so many sensors I don't have room for any more guages..

If you don't want analog dails you can get a digital number displays like the Hks camp, or the Defi link display
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

tan
    If you had a lot of money lying around....

http://www.impconcepts.com/audis4boostgauge.htm

I don't know if there's enough space in the tach for the leds though

Originally posted by tan
    If you had a lot of money lying around....

http://www.impconcepts.com/audis4boostgauge.htm

I don't know if there's enough space in the tach for the leds though
    Hmm this mod doesnt cost much. It's You just need a boost sensor and some radioshack stuff...

But I don't think this looks as good as the guages..
    I was thinking of doing this mod when I had my Audi, but choose to get some guages for it instead.
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

Originally posted by tan

So does an electrical guage need a control center, or any other extra hardware?
    Speed Is Money, How Fast Do You Want To Go?

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...page_id=412927

Originally posted by Sihota
    So does an electrical guage need a control center, or any other extra hardware?
    Electronical guages needs a sensor, some wire and the guage itself. These things normally comes with the guage.

Defi however guages needs a control center, but the nice thing with those guages it that you only need to pull one wire from the "control center" to the guage cluster. i think this is nice because it minimize the number of errors, firehazards, looks cleaner\nicer (whenever you pull out the dash)
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

so as far as accuracy, there isn't a difference?
    '04 WRB premium package.
    Gutted Stock up, Godspeed dp, Cobb AccessPort (Stage 2), Omori Turbo Guage, Omori EGT Guage, Falken 512's

I think the electronic one would respond faster to rapid changes as well as be more accurate overall. I know my Greddy boost gauge definatly moves faster than the factory one when I tap the gas and get on and off the throttle.
    I created my avatar.