Subaru WRX Forum banner

Anyone Dynamat their trunk?

9K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  tracker7821 
#1 ·
My trunk rattles like its gunna fly off from a 12" HX2 power and I was wondering if anyone has dynamatted their trunk. Reason I ask is when I poked around in the trunk I couldn't figure out how to place the dynamat w/o cutting it into smaller pieces (Which would nullify the purpose of dynomat?)?

Pictures of it installed would be awesome!

#3 ·
Dynamat is a sound deadening product. There's other brands also.. A good solution to trunk rattle is to Dynamat the trunk (even if you have to use smaller pieces, it should still help) and to also try to tighten up the trunk latch. You should be able to adjust it.. Other people I know of have done this to various models of cars and it has helped a lot.

#4 ·
I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I just wanted to add something....

There is nothing worng with cutting dynamat into pieces and using it that way. You don't need to lay it in large pieces (although that's easier, it's not really more effective). You just have to make sure that you lay them edge to edge. I dynamatted my trunk (actually I used Brown Bread) and it helped tremendously. I actually Ordered some Raammat to do more and to do the floor in the cabin as well.

#5 ·
dead thread but.... dynamat doesn't have to be in continous peices or even stuck together. In one of my useless college classes we learned about resonant frequency. That is the frequency at which an object is 'excited' and vibrates massively. If you put dynamat on, it changes the resonant freqency, so that part will get 'excited' at a lower freq. With enough damping you can get it down to 20 Hz, at which point it is a non issue. :)

#6 ·
*clear* [Thread Defibrillator]

This spring I'm going to sound deaden just the passenger and drivers side floors. You think 12 to 15 sq feet would suffice?

I just want to cut down on a little engine bay and road noise...and minimize the sounds from a catless dp.

-tp

#11 ·
dynamatting

right now im having all four doors dynamatted with dual installs, and a single trunk install. im putting a 4x80 memphis into memphis 6's and 5.25's in the car, with a 1100 watt memphis amp driving a 10 inch image dynamics sub in a .9cu.ft sealed enclosure, will let yall know how the dynamatting sounds with stereo on/off relative to what the car sounded like yesterday.
gettin it back tomorrow.........
rick

#14 ·
Ok guys I finished the trunk today and used 8 out of the 9 sheets of Dynamat Xtreme which is 32 square feet. I covered everything I possibly could in the trunk and it actually makes the trunk look a lot cooler too. The kit the company makes specifically for the trunk is absolutly ridiculous. There is no way they give you enough to cover the entire trunk. If you are going the Dyanmat route definatly buy the Xtreme bulk pack. Anyways I think the other sound dampening stuff works just as good as the Dynamat if you don't want to spend as much cash but the Dynamat Xtreme looks the best IMO. I will probably buy some speaker kits next and I will tell you how that went as well.

#17 ·
I will have some pics up by tomorrow night because I don't have batteries for the camera right now. Anyways, I think the sound is noticably louder but I still get rattling from back there at really high volume. I think I may need to get under the rear deck because that seems like the trouble spot. Anyways I saved about $150 by doing it myself :p according to Circuit City.

#18 ·
I wouldn't let Circuit City touch my car but that's another story. I think I might go with some liquid sound deadner to spray inside the trunk and then dynamat just the trunk lid. I'll see how bad it is once I get my car and install my stereo of course. :D

#21 ·
This is the actual floor of the trunk. You can't see it but I took the spare out and Dynamated the entire area where it sits. I also had extra left over so I decided to cover the spare tire cover to make it look nice. I also removed the trim pannels on both sides of the trunk and got behind there pretty good as well. By the way if you are planning on getting a 15" Solo Baric L7 it fits perfect!

#24 ·
I used dynomat extreme on the doors trunk lid, roof and floors although I haven't finished with the back seat area floor.

Is there a diference? If you knock on the doors from the out side, the stock WRX sounds like realllllly cheap tin. After the dynomat it sounds and "feels" like my Audi...

I did the roof too with the same results.

When I finally got around to the trunk, I have a wagon, the sound deadening was even more pronounced.

All I wanted was a quieter car.. It's quieter, and the stock audio system sounds much better but that 'll be going soon

:D

Just my two cents. I might try and post pics if anyone is interested...

#26 ·
Yeah the outside of the trunk feels more "solid" now but I am still getting flooded by rattling from the rear deck. I plan on stuffing some foam and/or Dynamat on there. I just installed my amp rack today and it seems to help with the sound. My rearview mirror is killing me though. Does anyone have a fix for it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.