JL vs. Boston Accoustic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on JL vs. Boston Accoustic within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm getting new 6.5" components, but I dont know what to do now because I can get JL XR 6.5's ...

JL vs. Boston Accoustic

I'm getting new 6.5" components, but I dont know what to do now because I can get JL XR 6.5's for $200 or the Boston Rally 6.5's for $220. The XR is the top of the line JL and the Rally's are the bottom of the line Boston, but I cant make up my mind. The JL's have to be better right? The Boston's seemed to image better, but everything will be tweaked in the car later...

What to do....

Any thoughts guys?
    "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas"

2000 Camaro SS

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A friend of mine has the 6.5 Boston Rally's components in his '01 Celica. They sound really perfect. He has them powered with an amp, and without the amp they sound very underpowered.

-alex

boston are great speakers and to me better then jl components. bostons are even better when amplified. If possible save up and get the pro series. you wont regret it...but u will need a amp(good amp!!) to push them correctly or they will end up cutting out or not sound that great.

frederick
    Hks up/dp/ebc/ti exh; TeIN springs:
    kartboy ss; blitz bov; volk gt-c

...n we're just getting started

13.4@99mph

I had 4 Boston Accoustic 6.5s in my old car powered by a soundstream 405 amp. They sound awesome. I dont have much experience with JL, but just going on reputation and my own experience, I would take the BAs. Btw, you are going to want an amp for those.

All of the above stuff got stolen two months ago , along with an eclipse headunit and a JBL 10W0 sub.

Rob
    2004 Silver WRX.
    TurboXS TBE with Prodrive Muffler - Godspeed Uppipe - UTEC - TUNA W/B - Steel Grey Rota Downshifts - VF35 - Pinks

JL is ok ..but i woudnt recomment it over BA. JL does make great subs though. excellent quality there

frederick
    Hks up/dp/ebc/ti exh; TeIN springs:
    kartboy ss; blitz bov; volk gt-c

...n we're just getting started

13.4@99mph

I bought the JL XR's based on the glowing reviews from car audio forums. They're definitely solid speakers, just not what I thought they would be. The best thing to do is listen for yourself.

I have listened to them both, and I think I like the BA's more, but its hard to pass on the JL's when they are discounted so much. I need to listen to the JL's more I guess. In theory they should be good cause they are the top of the line JL...

Seems like weir comparison though, top of the line JL to bottom of the line BA.

2000 Camaro SS

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    Simply put, here it is: (between the 2 companies)
    JL for subs and amps
    Boston for your speakers. I have some boston pro 6.5 components in my doors, and once i fix the rattling, these things are gonna sound PERFECT! i love them.
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

Get either one and brag to all your friends, they both kick some serious as#. Head to tweeter, listen to them both, and get whichever one feels natural, you really can't go wrong either way.

In my '02 wagon... I have Boston Rally 6.5" components up front, Rally 4" coax in back. These are driven by a JL Audio amp. Sub is JL Audio 10W6, driven by a Phoenix Gold amp. The combination sounds really good.

When I auditioned the Boston component speakers I took a long time - they were on a closeout special around $150 so I was thinking just based on price they couldn't be that good. But after about an hour of listening tests I concluded that indeed they performed better than speakers twice their price. Very happy with my setup.

i can't tell you which is "better." both are high quality speaker companies. there is ONLY one way for YOU to decide, and it's really very simple.

listen to them.

which sounds better to you?

buy that pair.

because "tweaking" means very little - you'll have a hard time making the JL's sound like BA's with "tweaking," and therefore, go with what you like. if you're getting into things like time correction, you'll be better able to tailor your preference to your liking.

as for your comment referring to one being top of the line and one being bottom and so forth, i offer this:

is kia's top model a better car than a base Impreza?
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

JL is hardly kia though....

2000 Camaro SS

it was just an analogy, sheesh.

ok a civic si vs a 2.5RS. closer? you know what i meant
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

both are good, I still have my xr's from my last car. if you want more of a mid-range speaker, the jl's would be the better choice. if you want a beteer sounding high-range speaker, i'd go with boston.

mb quart is also good, something to think about. I didn't choose mb quart last time because they are a paper cone and in a gsr water gets near the door speakers iirc.

anyway, just imo.
    03 wrx - 300whp/270wtq
    Originally posted by zoophagy
    The people that work there are, for the most part, retards. I used to work there.

I almost bought the xr650, but then i found out that the mounting depth is 2.8125" and thats too deep. 2.8" is the max and thats with cutting the door pannel some and moving the window track back.

Right now I'm thinking Boston FS6 or RC620, Infinity Kappa 60.5cs, or Focal 165A. The Bostons and Infinity's will fit with no problems. The focal are close, they are in the grey area at 2.606" but I think they'll fit with a .75" spacer. I just cant make up my mind!

2000 Camaro SS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast