cleaning the seats?

This is a discussion on cleaning the seats? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Whats the best way to clean the seats? I bought a thing of soda, threw it on the passenger seat ...

cleaning the seats?

Whats the best way to clean the seats? I bought a thing of soda, threw it on the passenger seat without opening it but it leaked all over anyways. Arrgghh. Maybe just soap and water?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Bump!
    Yeah, I've got some stains I've tried almost everything on. Anybody got any good products they use?
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

rent, or buy, a hand held carpet cleaner, the hot waters are better. I haven't used mine on the seat, but works great on the floor mats.
    MCL

anyone else clean their seats differently?

c1k
    I had a couple of spots on my seats and I used some hot spot carpet cleaner. Worked great came right off after spraying then rubbing with a damp cloth. Its in a blue can with orange writing, think i picked it up at target.

edit: however if you use this I still recomend you test your own fabric for colorfastness. Wouldnt want to be responsible for anyones permanate seat damage.
    Last edited by c1k; 07-09-2004 at 02:00 PM.

Originally posted by WickedRydaX
    rent, or buy, a hand held carpet cleaner, the hot waters are better. I haven't used mine on the seat, but works great on the floor mats.
    MCL
    I cleaned carpets/upholstery for a living professionally for awhile (7yrs),

Like Wicked says,

Rent a pro type "Steamervac"

Heres how you do it (Mods make a sticky if you like. )

1. Get the machine and shampoo.

Fill it with HOT water and the Shampoo solution as per instructions.

2. Get a GOOD handheld scrub brush.
    (The kind with the stiffer brissles and handle!)

3.Use the machine to spray some shampoo/water on the area to be cleaned,

Do ONE Area (i,e,Matt/seat/etc) at a time!

DO NOT do not try to wet down the whole interior at once!
    (Yea, I know, But I have seen people do it!)

Now pay attention!

FIRST use the SCRUB BRUSH!! After you have givin the area a nice spray with the machines hand wand.

(Dont go ape**** and soak it, just get it nice and wet for scrubbing)

4.Scrub well with the brush.

Dont scrub the thing like you would concrete!,....

But dont be a wuss on it either,You want to work the solution into the material and loosen the dirt/stain/etc

5.Here is a trick!

INSTEAD of using the HANDWAND, Take the HOSE END and vacuum out the Water/Shampoo,

It is more effective on uneven surfaces.
    (You can use the handwand on flatter surfaces)

6.IF you have a hard stain,(i.e, Soda,etc)

You can TRY some OXY-Scrub type solution (Mix per instructions) in a HIDDIN place or on a floor matt FIRST to make sure you dont bleed out the color.

If it dosent hurt the carpet/seat/area then go ahead and use the SCRUB BRUSH and solution of OXY-Scrub (or simular) to loosin the stain FIRST.

THEN use the SHAMPOO and "Steamer" to pull the stain.

7. Make SURE you use the VACUUM part of the "Steamer" to suck as MUCH of the Shampoo/water/OXY solution out of your cleaned areas! (See below)

Now,....If your anal like me <GGG>,

You can fill the "STEAMER" back up with CLEAR HOT WATER and spray/rinse the areas you cleaned. (An area at a time)

Just dont overdue it and SOAK the area like a madman!

Just spray the water lightly and suck it right back up.

(Most Retail Cleaning Shampoos dont leave a residue so you may skip this step unless it instructs otherwise in the instructions).

AFTER YOU ARE DONE YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE ANY AREAS THAT FEEL "SQUISHY" WET!!!

(There will be some moisture left after cleaning, You just dont want it to feel like your car just come out of a rainstorm!!)

8.Leave the doors open and Put a fan (bigger the better) up by the car and let it blow in for a couple of hours.

9. Buy you a can of SCOTCHGUARD type upholstery protecter and spray as directed, THEN brush it into the fabric with your DRY Scrub brush.

10. Admire

(Dont worry, It WILL be DAMP,you just dont want it still real wet)

Do EXPECT some stains (Red,Oil,etc) to never come all the way out.................... IF the have already dried.

Even the "Pros" cant get some of em out....

In the future if you spill somthing on your interior,

Keep your Scrub Brush and some Dawn or other dishwashing liqud around along with a "WET-DRY VAC"

Mix about a Tablespoon of the Dishwashing liquid to a gallon of HOT water and Scrub and Suck it out as soon as possible!!

I clean my car/cars yearly this way and they always look near new.

You must understand though,....That WEAR,Colorfade,is never gonna have that really nice look after awhile.

But you can make sure at least it is a nice CLEAN wear...<GG>

Shotgun

shampoo vacuum
    FP Green STi

Wow that was a long write up. I would stay away from soap that leaves a sticky residue that will attract more grime. Use a carpet spot cleaner. I used to clean carpets and I had some extra Chem Dry spot cleaner laying around and it worked like a charm.

Originally posted by wake2snow5
    Wow that was a long write up. I would stay away from soap that leaves a sticky residue that will attract more grime. Use a carpet spot cleaner. I used to clean carpets and I had some extra Chem Dry spot cleaner laying around and it worked like a charm.
    I was talking bout the whole interior (if needed)

Chem-Dry doesnt sell a complete system for home cleaning (as in the whole car) They look like they have some good spot removers for the Do it yourselfers though

Also take note of the rinse process I described for residue removel (Not as much residue as you think really)

My carpets/Seats in my car are dry within one hour.

I was givin him the extra time being he probably hasnt done it before...

Superior/Spaldings/Chem-Dry were all wantin the money, They all work......

But we dont need to hire em now do we?.........

Shotgun