Stock Turbo Gauge?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Stock Turbo Gauge? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My dad surprised me by ordering the stock turbo gauge in my car when we ordered it. I like the ...

Stock Turbo Gauge?

My dad surprised me by ordering the stock turbo gauge in my car when we ordered it. I like the way the guage looks and all, but I am confused on how to read it. I am pretty sure .1 bar is 14 psi, that im not worried baout, but when the car is off the boost says 0, and when the car is runnign at an idle it is somewhere around
    -.05....i dont know why it is negitive. It also seems to be tied in with the revs until it reaches zero, where it then moves up according to my boostage..i think
    Thanks..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turbo gauge copy.jpg  
    -- Ryan
    04' WRX Wagon Auto

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

that is normal reading at idle
    04 SVT Lightning

Fancypants,
    What does it mean? does it mean im doing opposite of regular boosting? What does 0 mean? does it mean im not boosting at all still?
    Thanks for the reply.
    -- Ryan
    04' WRX Wagon Auto

My understanding, although limitied, is this, and please correct me if i am wrong. The turbo is going to act as a restrictor unless is flowing enough air to maintain ambient pressure or increase pressuer. This is the way it think of it, when your car is idleing it is not generating enough exaust gases to spool up the turbo much at all. If you can picture a big fan in the middle of a duct, unless the fan is actually moving the air you are going to encounter some resistace to air flow, ie. you are gona have to blow and/or suck down the duct extra hard to work the air around the turbine. This will be the same in the case of your car turbo, at idle and other not so ideal load %'s of the engine the turbine is not spining fast enough to actual move the air that it is needed on a NA, naturally aspired (ie. non turbo/supercharged), car, thus your intake pressure is going to be somewhat bellow ambient pressure. This is why are cars feel like slow dogs up until around 3K rpm, unless of course you have mods . I hope this helps and i hope its all correct.

from my udnerstanding all cars create vacume like this, thanks for the help guys and i think ive got it figured out.
    -- Ryan
    04' WRX Wagon Auto

0 = atmospheric pressure
    Anything under 0 = negative pressure
    Anything over 0 = positive pressure (boost)

the stock boost guage reads in mega pascals.

.1 MPa = 1 Bar = 14.5 psi

You could swap out the gauge for one that reads in PSI.
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (Cobb Stage2)
    2001 Honda CR-V SE

maybe I'm hijacking this thread ..... but- I need to get a turbo gauge that reads in PSI. Where is a good place to find one? I'm only seeing them for about 200 bucks and that seems alittle steep.

You "need" to get one that reads in PSI or you just want one J/K. From what I remember VDO made a guage that was cheap and I think it read in PSI, as Ebr0t, he has it I think.

My Mods

"The most important mod is the one behind the steering wheel" - Koyokid RIP

Check out Summit Racing They have a good selection of VDO and AutoMeter boost gauges that are well below $200.
    2003 Subaru Impreza WRX (Cobb Stage2)
    2001 Honda CR-V SE

tan
    The VDO Vision boost gauge is about $30

Yeah, mechanical boost gauges aren't much $$$ but I went to an electronic recently and I'm never looking back

Try www.egauges.com

tan
    electronic gauges respond faster since it uses less tubing. The length and bends causes pressure drops which delay the response of the gauge.

It uses a small length of tubing to reach the MAP, and the rest is electrons, for the most part

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.