Which type of gauges?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Which type of gauges? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering if I could get you guys to prioritize which gauges I'd need to be able to monitor ...

Which type of gauges?

I was wondering if I could get you guys to prioritize which gauges I'd need to be able to monitor my car for potential failure and trouble....i.e. boost, egt, oil pressure, oil temp, etc.

Just for the record, when it is all said and one, my car will be an 03 WRX 4EAT w/Cobb reflash stage1, Stromung catback exhaust, Perrin IC hoses, Protorque'd TC

I am currently looking into possibly porting my throttle body (quicker spool) and going with an STi uppipe (quicker spool + OEM look to get past CA visual inspection).

My current guess is that I'd want to prioritize my gauging as:

1. Boost
    2. Oil temp
    3. EGT?
    4. ?

Please only list the ones you think I'd really need. If I can get by with two, great. If I need 4, no biggie. I want to try to keep my car as uncluttered as possible while still making sure to be aware if something goes awry.

Thanks.

PS - for those of you who went with metric/SI units, how long did it take for you to get used to reading them in place of F and psi?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Since your mod goals aren't extreme (ie no new turbo) and you're going w/ a reflashed chip (generally fool-proof), I'd say you don't NEED extra gauges.

You should have a boost gauge and an egt just so you have some way to monitor the health of your turbo and all the air pressure lines. the egt is good to learn the lean and rich nature of the engine and general health. those two will help you learn what your car is experiencing.

If you were to push your car beyond stock parameters further, I'd recommend oil pressure and oil temp. Those are all the guages I have.

My knowledge is based upon reading up on these boards for the past year...so take my advice w/ a grain of salt...no pro here...just another noob that's just been here longer.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Thanks Quicksilver...I make no bones about it, everything I know about my car has come courtesy of forum groups (well, that and projectWRX). Any and all opinions are always welcome!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.