Coin Box

This is a discussion on Coin Box within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok, how many of you know you have a coin box in the WRX? And if you do... why were ...

Coin Box

Ok, how many of you know you have a coin box in the WRX? And if you do... why were you holding out on me?

For those of you that haven't checked it out. Where your left knee is... there's a hinged piece of plastic that says "FUSE" on it. So I though... Ok that's where one bank of fuses is. Not realizing you pull it out and there's a little (well actually pretty big) coin box... or what I'll use as my coin box. And then you have to pull it all the way out to get to the fuses. So no more keeping change in my pocket all the time for tolls and such. I can keep it in the car now.

I know I could have used the ash tray but that's where my parking pass for the garage at work sits. I have to access it twice a day. So that can't be used for change. Besides it's so small that it won't hold much.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I think this qualifies as a "top 10 things you wish your dealer told you." (was that in the Welcome to the club??) There's some other good ones, too

..I've been using the coin box thing for a while, never noticed the word "fuse" on it. The dealer actually pointed to the ashtray and said "that's a coin box" and never mentioned the actual coin box.

..one word of caution, especially when going through tolls at night: the coin box becomes unhinged rather easily. Be gentle when closing the thing, cause you might inadvertantly pop it off and spew change all inside the dash and driver side floor. Also, when getting out of the car, if your foot catches the plastic paneling you might potentially induce coin spewage.

Caution advised

Hi guys!

I have to toss in a word of caution regarding putting spare change (or anything conductive) in the fuse-box cover/pocket.
    As there is no cover over the top of that pocket, a good bump or whoop-de-doo could potentially send the contents into the fuse box wiring. A handfull of quarters PROBABLY wouldn't short anything out, but I don't think I'd want to risk it.
    I dump my change into the little cup-holder recess in the center console, FWIW.

ByeBye! S.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    Microelectronics Research
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

Wow, good point. I hear my change jingle jangle whenever I hit a bump. ..but you're the scientist: tell me how hard of a bump you'd have to have to actually project a coin that high? Wouldn't you have other things to worry about besides electrical problems?

Besides, that cup holder is specifically reserved for my phone

And for me... since I live in the ghetto... if I put as much as 2 pennies in any part of exposed area of my car it would be broken into. You know how much crack you can get for 2 cents! =) So the dixie cup holder in the center console remains empty.

I'll stick with using it as a coin box until I run into problems.

Hi klancek, all!

klancek asks:
    Wow, good point. I hear my change jingle jangle whenever I hit a bump. ..but you're the scientist: tell me how hard of a bump you'd have to have to actually project a coin that high? Wouldn't you have other things to worry about besides electrical problems?
    Well, I just don't know. Maybe not too hard; a properly timed speed bump can launch other small objects in the car, as you have no doubt observed. Even so, it might not be a problem, as everything in behind the fuse box seems to be pretty well insulated.
    I can picture that random penny getting wedged in tho, just waiting for the best time to short circuit your headlights . . .
    Axioms to live by: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE MURPHY (may his whiskey barrel never run dry: Ommmm! ;-).
    As I write this, it occurs to me that you could probably fabricate a top for the pocket out of duct tape (aah, Duct Tape; the racers edge). I'll check feasibility when I head out for lunch.

ByeBye! S.
    Last edited by labman; 05-06-2002 at 11:36 AM.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

i bought one of those $1.50 change dispensers from Osco Drug. holds quarters, nickels and dimes, and it fits perfectly and snugly in the holder.

no quarters will be shorting out my fuses.

dR

Originally posted by beastcivic
    And for me... since I live in the ghetto... if I put as much as 2 pennies in any part of exposed area of my car it would be broken into. You know how much crack you can get for 2 cents! =) So the dixie cup holder in the center console remains empty.

I'll stick with using it as a coin box until I run into problems.
    Tell me about it. Maryland sucks

Hi again!

Re. my last post; alas, duct tape doesn't look like an option.
    Mr. Dark_Rex seems to be onto something tho . . .
    i bought one of those $1.50 change dispensers from Osco Drug. holds quarters, nickels and dimes, and it fits perfectly and snugly in the holder.
    ByeBye! S.
    Steve Jernigan KG0MB
    Laboratory Manager
    University of Colorado
    (719) 262-3101

Thumbs up

Originally posted by dark_rex

no quarters will be shorting out my fuses.

dR
    Kewl thx for the tip , gotta get one of those thingie
    What mods, dude this baby is stock
    2002 Platinum Silver 5spd sedan.

coins

I've had my side window broken by a thief who really needed 67 cents. NEVER leave coins in your car.

Re: coins

Originally posted by russ
    I've had my side window broken by a thief who really needed 67 cents. NEVER leave coins in your car.
    Well, you know you can get a can of Coke for that much. And have 7 cents left over for a gumball from Giant (out of the little machines in the entrance). So I think it's totally worth it.

Sorry to hear how desperate some people are these days.

I rigged my "coin box" so that it is covered and no change will fly anywhere.
    2002 Platinum Silver Rex