How bad is the seat fabric in the WRX?

This is a discussion on How bad is the seat fabric in the WRX? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I cannot drive a RSX or Celica or any other little fast two door due to practicality reasons. I need ...

How bad is the seat fabric in the WRX?

I cannot drive a RSX or Celica or any other little fast two door due to practicality reasons. I need 4 doors and more space than that. I am dismayed to begin discovering that all of the "enthusiast" models of 4 door and wagon cars seem to have this ricey interior. I was kind of interested in the Sentra Spec-V or whatever its called, and then I saw the "lava" colered seats that look like someone vomited a cherry slushy all over the car. Now the WRX has these blue seats, but they look rubbery too. Is the interior that bad? Is there an exterior color that seems to mute the interior colors better? Why do the manufacturers assume that everyone who wants a fast, smallish, econimical car, wants the stylings of a 16 year olds rice-burner?

Signed,
    Frustrated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

LOL They're not that bad. (The seats) When you're in it... you'll forget the little black/blue silvery dots on the seats and just enjoy the fun, reliablity, etc, etc of the car. At least they're not as ugly as some of the old VW's or Civics that were produced.

I personally have no problem with the seats and love the interior but, the only way to truly find out is to go test drive one and see for yourself.

the interior is quite nice actually and gets great reviews. the selection for the interior, however, is nonexistent. maybe Subaru will ofter another option or two for next model year? what does everyone think?
    o-|-<) bryan

Thanks for the replies guys. I wasnt speaking of the actual seats themselves, as I have also heard many great reviews. I was just referring to the fact that they're blue. Also, is that 'shock blue' WRX logo embroidred on all the headrests? I wish it was just available in black and grey instead of black and blue. All the pics they show on the internet are of the blue car, and I am thinking of getting the black one. Maybe that will tone it down.

I cant wait to see if subaru decides to offer more muted tones in the future, because I will NEED to purchase a car this fall, and I will be keeping for many years. My other options are the Matrix and the Protoge 5. If I end up getting the Mazda because I cant stand the interior on the subaru and toyata, I may as well hand my nuts to the dealer on the way out the door. (Come on Mazda, give us 30-50 more horsepower)

If you want to mute the color of the interior, wouldn't you want to get something amazingly loud on the outside? With the blue exterior I've never noticed anything particularly flashy about the inside. ...have you test driven yet? You've probably already heard this before, but the WRX isn't renown for the interior.. Most people lower their standards after feeling their spleen squished against their spine.

Also, did you know that there are aftermarket leather seat/door covers? I know very little about cost, and I've only seen the very race-like black and red pattern, but perhaps an all-black version will be available at the time you buy. Anyone else know about this? For all I know the folks who make the seat covers post here or on iclub

i have seen multiple WRXs here in Boulder with leather seats... i spoke to one owner about it and he said he had it done in Denver, but the deal was made before his purchase through the dealer. he said it should have cost $1000, but he got it for considerable cheaper. Also said it was a great job, he'd assume it was from the factory if he didn't know better.
    o-|-<) bryan

tan
    You can get custom seat covers from Wet Okole (pricey though).

www.wetokole.com

Here's what running a search on the site does...

Leather Seats

Pic #1

Pic #2

Pic # 3

Pic #4

Pic #5

Leather Seats Dot Com

We sell an installation kit that includes the Hog-ring pliers, Hog-rings and the 3M super adhesive upholstery glue for $35.00. You will need other tools, but they are generally tools most do-it-youselfers should have.

The leather kits are manufactured by Katzkin. They are DELUXE kits which means the following:

1) Full leather seating surface on the front seats, that is headrest to toe, bolster to bolster everything you touch while sitting will be leather.

2) Leather inserts in the rear row with matching vinyl wrap.

3) Flat vinyl doors

These kits are manufactured from the highest quality automotive grade, vat dyed, top grain leather in the industry. All our vinyls are specifically manufactured to match our leather hides perfectly both in color and in grade. We do offer higher leather content kit that we refer to as REGULAR for $100.00 over the regular retail price. The Deluxe outsells the Regular buy 70% in both the WRX wagon and sedan. If you guys want the REGULAR content we can offer that at a discount as well. The REGULAR kit contains the following:

1) Full leather seating surface on the front seats, that is headrest to toe, bolster to bolster everything you touch while sitting will be leather.

2) Full leather seating surface on the rear row!

3) Flat vinyl door inserts(we find vinyl more difficult to install on this type of door) That grey kit that is on www.scoobymods.com has vinyl door inserts. Most people would never know the difference. You guys are right about the install, they are a glue down and it will probably be the most difficult part of the installation. Don't let them scare you though, they are not that difficult once the door panel is off.

Warning... both kits will appear cosmetically the same! Both will stand up to wear in similar manner. In fact, the deluxe kit has been know to outlast some regular content interiors because people tend to neglect their leather. The vinyl is much lower maintainence. That said...

we will offer the full leather rear option(usually 100.00) for $85.00 on top of whatever discount you guys earn. At this point, 20 seems very feesable, so you would add the $85.00 to $543.00 for a group buy price of 628.00 + shipping.

In this day and age our Deluxe kits generally contain more square footage of quality leather than most OEM leather kits. Mitsubishi Eclipses for example, have leather seating surfaces up front and ALL vinyl rears. Those eclipse pics I attached were DELUXE kits. Either way, it is up to you guys, both prices are great for the top quality interiors you will all recieve. We will back every kit we sell DELUXE or REGULAR for 3 years/36k miles no matter who installs it.

As for logos, we can put them on the headrest or on the seat backs below the headrests. I would recommend the seat back being that it is a sizable logo and the headrest is not that big.

We can offer color stitched french seams in any of our 50+ colors for $20.00.

I hope everything is clear. Oh, and I will attach a close-up pic of our Light Slate inserts on a Silverado.

THE GROUP BUY STUFF IS NO LONGER VALID i just posted it for informative purposes

good luck all.

dR

Last edited by dark_rex; 04-12-2002 at 11:45 AM.

There's a 3rd group buy going on now at i-Club

I installed my leatherseats.com kit myself last year (along with seat heaters). Great quality, much happier with it.

I'd stay away from the Wet Okole stuff; IMO it's OK, but not worth the money.

Paul