weird noise coming from shifter
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on weird noise coming from shifter within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just installed my kartboy shifter bushings, they've made a nice improvement in the feel of the short shifter now. ...

weird noise coming from shifter

I just installed my kartboy shifter bushings, they've made a nice improvement in the feel of the short shifter now. Everything seemed to go fine during the install, but when I took it for a drive I noticed a faint whirring sound that must be coming from around the shifter, but I'm not sure how it was caused exactly.

the noise usually comes in third fourth and fifth gear when i'm slowing down. A bit hint to me is that once I clutch in, it immediately stops
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Its just more NVH (noise,vibration, and harshness) from the stiffer bushings going into the shifter. Try hold it with your hand after you shift, and see if it goes away.
    '12 WRB Sedan

I've tried holding the shifter but the noise doesn't go away. Would it be safe to use lithium-based grease on the bushings? I need some type of grease to try to remove the squeeking
    03 wrx
    karboy ss/bushings, blitz dtt, catless, prodrive axleback

Mine has also done that since I installed it 4,000 miles ago. The sound doesnt go away. If while in 3rd gear and like 3,000 RPM you put something on top of the shifter like, your cell phone , a ring, or anything metal or plastic you will see how much it is really vibrating... its crazy

The OEM shifter has a plastic (or something like that) ball at the bottom to reduce vibration. The Kartboy has a metal ball. You just have to get used to the extra noise.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.