MOMO shift knob?

This is a discussion on MOMO shift knob? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got the crystal blue momo shift knob and put it on but there is nothing for the top of ...

MOMO shift knob?

I got the crystal blue momo shift knob and put it on but there is nothing for the top of the boot to attatch to. Is that how they are supposed to be or am I missing something?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

tan
    Yes, when you buy a MOMO knob, they attach to various boots in two ways:

1. With the plastic cap on the screw threads, you'll have to tie it against the knob

2. If you use the MOMO boot with the screw on base, it screws onto the knob.

Also, anyone know where I can get a blue MOMO shift boot and how much they run?

tan
    NOPI may have one, or check out a local rice shop. Expect to pay around $60.

i have a momo knob. i jusrt wrapped a bunch of rubber bands around the shifter so it made a lip, then popped the jacket over the rubber bands. worked like a charm

dR

Thumbs up Momo Install

I have the Momo Race Airleather installed. I used the adapter found in I-Club. It's the Shiznit. Here is the link to the forum.

http://forums.i-club.com/forums/show...hreadid=199061

This adapter is the best for your Momo, solid and tight with 5 minute install.....
    "Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup."

I have the Race Airleather also, but could not get a reply from Paulie over at i-club on the adapter so I made my own. I actually had the thing mostly drawn up when I found the thread about his and went on to the lathe when he did not answer email or PM.

The ID of my knob was about 0.610 inches and I turned the adapter to 0.614. I would decrease that to maybe 0.612 if I did it again as I ended up having to use an arbor press to get the adapter in. It is effectively permanent now though.

The knob with adapter is perfect and the boot droops not at all.

Mitch

"A good friend will help you move. A true friend will help you move a body."
    Last edited by Sonic; 09-13-2002 at 11:10 AM.

Re: Momo Install

Originally posted by Dxomas
    I used the adapter found in I-Club. It's the Shiznit. Here is the link to the forum.

This adapter is the best for your Momo
    I have this adapter and I'm not that impressed. It makes the knob sit higher (you can't really tell I have a short shifter anymore), so I'm going to dremel off the top of it so it's flush with the threads.

Also, you can wrap black electrical tape around the base of your knob and save a few $.

I just installed a Momo, and got the stock boot to stay on there. I just left off the aluminum thread-on collar and wedged that stock boot on to the aluminum base of the knob. It's a tight fit, but you don't have to force it too much to get it on there. Crude, but it works

Does the Kartboy shifter have the same problem with not holding up the shift boot? Also, does it screw in place or does it have the three screws to hold it in place?

Thanks
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

I used double sided sticky thingamabobs that I simply wrapped around the shifter 2 or 3 times (until it was thick enough) and then positioned the boot, squeezed it against the stickies, and it's remained in place ever since (10-months and counting).

Here's a picture of it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails subie005.jpg  

Not to beat a dead horse but... I simply bought some 3/8" gas line tubing, cut it to size (from the bottom of my MOMO knob to the little edge on shifter), slit the tube down the middle, wrap it around the shifter, and zip-tie it (use real small zip-ties or you'll feel it through the boot) at the top and bottom. I've tried forcing the boot down but it stays right in place. Total cost: $3.25

Just put my Momo on today. You really gotta tighten the set screws or it'll come loose. I just wrapped some electrical tape under the knob and forced the boot over it. Holds perfectly, no need to go overkill with that.

tan
    Suprised I didn't say it earlier....

Loctite on the set screws threads. It cures the vibration loosening of the screws.