Greddy gauges installed.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Greddy gauges installed. within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Last weekend I installed some 52mm Greddy electronic gauges, so that I could safely monitor the motor with the newly ...

Greddy gauges installed.

Last weekend I installed some 52mm Greddy electronic gauges, so that I could safely monitor the motor with the newly installed Unichip. I had originally planned on using Autometers, but the quality of the electronic Greddys is just far superior. Not only do they look and perform better, but they also have nice touches like oem-style translucent needles. Being electronic makes the install a little easier, since you don't have to run boost lines etc. back into the cabin. They are very similar in look and function to the Defi gauges, which a friend of mine has. The big difference is that I believe the Defis have a central electronic head unit that all the gauges plug into, which is probably why the Greddys are a little cheaper.

I had decided I wanted to go with the modified oem gauge housing and mask from Derres Catalano, since the Defi pod is a little large for my taste, and it is not textured to match the dash. I also wanted to use 52mm gauges instead of 60mm. I opted for EGT, boost, and oil, with white faces and bezel rings. The gauges have a very nice green glow, not unlike the indiglo gauge kits that are available for the oem clocks. The only problem with fitting these gauges to Derres' modified pod, is that he trims for Autometers which have a thinner bezel ring. Consequently I had to hack the pod in a few more places.

I first wired in the power connectors. Each gauge has 4 'power' wires. 12v always-on, lights, ignition, and ground. I grounded behind the radio, and tapped the other 3 off the digital clock harness. Really I should have tapped the 'lights' power wire off the oem boost harness which is where I tapped for my old gauge. That way the gauge lights will dim using the stalk control. No matter, the glow of the Greddys is the perfect luminosity for me anyway.

Next is running the individual sensor wires. The boost is easy and I was already tapped off the BOV for my existing gauge. The oil-pressure switch is probably the biggest PITA. I wanted to replace the stock pressure switch, which is located under the alternator. The Greddys come with metric fittings, so the oil pressure switch was a direct replacement.

Finally, I needed to tap for the EGT probe. I chose the driver-side manifold so as not to disturb my nicely sealing (finally) uppipe. I tapped about 4" down from the cylinder block, right where the two exhaust outputs merge. I figure this is as accurate as anywhere and allows me to monitor whichever is the hottest of those two cylinders. I did remove the manifold to tap, since the oily fragments of metal from the tapping stick themselves everywhere, and the manifold required a thorough flushing after tapping. The hardest part of the EGT probe installation is actually finding the 1/8-28 BSPT pipe tap. I finally ended up buying a $60 set of metric taps from Sears. I used threadlocker on the probe and it seems to be sealing just fine.

It took about 6 hours from start to finish, including securing the gauges into the mask, and mounting them into the pod.

Pics to follow...

-Pace
    Last edited by pace; 04-04-2002 at 06:19 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Pic1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p4040009.jpg  

Pic2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails p4040010.jpg  

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX
    cool gauges!

but what happend to your windshield? it looks liek theres a huge crack along the front???

There's 3 huge cracks from where the elderly gentleman bounced into the windshield after ricocheting off my hood. I barely had time to see the look of surprise cross his face before he tumbled over my ski racks...

Actually, Colorado is notorious for broken windshields as they use coarse grit on the roads and don't clean it up when the snow is cleared. My WRX windshield lasted two months from new. My Cherokee windshield lasted 10 months, which is a record for me. The worst was my Wrangler windshield which cost $200 to replace and was cracked a week later. I actually feel pretty strongly that they should implement a windshield tax to help subsidize the cost of new windshields. Anyone with a vehicle wearing mud flaps would not be subject to the tax.

Glad you like my gauges. The white really grows on you - I think I'm going to get some reverse indiglos to match.

-Pace
    Last edited by pace; 04-04-2002 at 08:49 PM.

WOW those are nice gauges...whats the price difference between greddy and autometer?
    2003 WRX this summer
    GregFarz3@excite.com
    http://community.webshots.com/user/gregfarz78

Like free MP3's? Join my club, mention clubwrx.net
    Audiophilez

What does the nose and hood look like with all that stuff on the roads? And yes, F*** all the SUV's and Pick ups w/out mud flaps. I stay way far back from them.

Originally posted by pace

Actually, Colorado is notorious for broken windshields as they use coarse grit on the roads and don't clean it up when the snow is cleared. My WRX windshield lasted two months from new. My Cherokee windshield lasted 10 months, which is a record for me. The worst was my Wrangler windshield which cost $200 to replace and was cracked a week later. I actually feel pretty strongly that they should implement a windshield tax to help subsidize the cost of new windshields. Anyone with a vehicle wearing mud flaps would not be subject to the tax.

-Pace
    Last edited by JTREX; 04-05-2002 at 12:33 PM.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

Originally posted by GregFarz78
    WOW those are nice gauges...whats the price difference between greddy and autometer?
    Well, they are considerably more expensive than mechanical Autometers, but cheaper than the equally pretty electronic Defi gauges. For example, I was originally looking at Autometer Phantoms, which run about $50 for a 52mm mechanical boost gauge. A 52mm Greddy electronic boost gauge retails around $150. A Defi will run you closer to $250 I think, if you purchase it standalone. I don't know how much electronic Autometers cost, but if you are paying the premium for electronic gauges then I personally would not opt for Autometers.

I believe Godspeed package both Defis and Greddys with the Defi gauge pod, and it works out a little cheaper. I didn't go with the Defi pod for the reasons I already mentioned, but if you like 60mm gauges this is a good way to go as it will save you a few $$.

-Pace

Originally posted by JTREX
    What does the nose and hood look like with all that stuff on the roads? And yes, F*** all the SUV's and Pick ups w/out mud flaps. I stay way far back from them.

I have a front-end bra on my wagon The intercooler has some pretty good sized dings, although we added some protective mesh which helps a lot. It still collects a lot of grit though...

-Pace

You know SOA did a recall or whatever it was called about Bra's, not good for the WRX, blocks airflow into the sccop, my dealer says there have been some turbo's buring up because of it.

Originally posted by pace

I have a front-end bra on my wagon The intercooler has some pretty good sized dings, although we added some protective mesh which helps a lot. It still collects a lot of grit though...

-Pace
    Last edited by JTREX; 04-08-2002 at 12:31 PM.
    Drag racing? I like my racing to last longer than the average orgasm...

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.