Last weekend I installed some 52mm Greddy electronic gauges, so that I could safely monitor the motor with the newly installed Unichip. I had originally planned on using Autometers, but the quality of the electronic Greddys is just far superior. Not only do they look and perform better, but they also have nice touches like oem-style translucent needles. Being electronic makes the install a little easier, since you don't have to run boost lines etc. back into the cabin. They are very similar in look and function to the Defi gauges, which a friend of mine has. The big difference is that I believe the Defis have a central electronic head unit that all the gauges plug into, which is probably why the Greddys are a little cheaper.
I had decided I wanted to go with the modified oem gauge housing and mask from Derres Catalano, since the Defi pod is a little large for my taste, and it is not textured to match the dash. I also wanted to use 52mm gauges instead of 60mm. I opted for EGT, boost, and oil, with white faces and bezel rings. The gauges have a very nice green glow, not unlike the indiglo gauge kits that are available for the oem clocks. The only problem with fitting these gauges to Derres' modified pod, is that he trims for Autometers which have a thinner bezel ring. Consequently I had to hack the pod in a few more places.
I first wired in the power connectors. Each gauge has 4 'power' wires. 12v always-on, lights, ignition, and ground. I grounded behind the radio, and tapped the other 3 off the digital clock harness. Really I should have tapped the 'lights' power wire off the oem boost harness which is where I tapped for my old gauge. That way the gauge lights will dim using the stalk control. No matter, the glow of the Greddys is the perfect luminosity for me anyway.
Next is running the individual sensor wires. The boost is easy and I was already tapped off the BOV for my existing gauge. The oil-pressure switch is probably the biggest PITA. I wanted to replace the stock pressure switch, which is located under the alternator. The Greddys come with metric fittings, so the oil pressure switch was a direct replacement.
Finally, I needed to tap for the EGT probe. I chose the driver-side manifold so as not to disturb my nicely sealing (finally) uppipe. I tapped about 4" down from the cylinder block, right where the two exhaust outputs merge. I figure this is as accurate as anywhere and allows me to monitor whichever is the hottest of those two cylinders. I did remove the manifold to tap, since the oily fragments of metal from the tapping stick themselves everywhere, and the manifold required a thorough flushing after tapping. The hardest part of the EGT probe installation is actually finding the 1/8-28 BSPT pipe tap. I finally ended up buying a $60 set of metric taps from Sears. I used threadlocker on the probe and it seems to be sealing just fine.
It took about 6 hours from start to finish, including securing the gauges into the mask, and mounting them into the pod.
Pics to follow...