How do I save my battery?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on How do I save my battery? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had my car for anout a year and half now, I put in my stereo when it was new. ...

Question How do I save my battery?

I've had my car for anout a year and half now, I put in my stereo when it was new. I'm running about 800 watts all together, so I knew the battery would die sooner than expected, but not this much sooner.

Is there anything I can do to make the battery last longer this time around? I've read about strike capacitors, but I'm not exactly sure what they do or if that's what I would need.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A cap saves up the juice for when the bass hits.

Basically it provides a reserve of power that can quickly be used without loading the rest of the electrical system.

Try an Optima battery? Should work..
    '12 WRB Sedan

Cool, I'll give the optima a shot. Thanks
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

Don't play the stereo when the car is not running. And a larger capacity alternator might help as well.

And as strange as it might sound, ya might think about going the opposite direction on pully size for the alternator, if available, to a smaller one. That would increase the RPMs during all running speeds, especially idling. Not sure if that's available or not. But it would decrease performance (hp) a bit, probably negligeable.

The cap will help if you are causing periodic excessive loads on the battery. It will help to ballance out the load (timewise).
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Upgrading the three wires to a smaller gauge, larger diameter can help as well. Lower resistance is a good thing.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Originally posted by Th3Franz
    Upgrading the three wires to a smaller gauge, larger diameter can help as well. Lower resistance is a good thing.
    That is primarily done to increase the voltage delivered to the amp, and also increases the current drain on the battery (lower overall resistance). But always a good idea nonetheless.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Originally posted by retrodog
    That is primarily done to increase the voltage delivered to the amp, and also increases the current drain on the battery (lower overall resistance). But always a good idea nonetheless.
    You cannot change the voltage delivered to a battery by changing the wire gauge. You can only change the amount of current drawn. It will increase with a lower resistance wire.

Originally posted by firedust
    You cannot change the voltage delivered to a battery by changing the wire gauge. You can only change the amount of current drawn. It will increase with a lower resistance wire.
    Well, actually,,, I was talking about the wire running power to the amp, from the battery.

In my description, I was talking about the ability to maintain a maximum voltage across the amp while it's impedence drops dramatically as a result driving the speakers. Any increase in wire size helps this by minimizing the line impedence in series with the amp.

I may not have fully understood where th3franz was heading so sorry for the confusion. In retro(dog)spect, I'm not too sure which "three wires" he is talking about.

I was just talking about the 3 "magic wires." If you use larger wires it might not save the battery, but it will improve the performance of the amp. Voltage drops, bleh.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

Ok....

Hah72215, do both options... A good capacitor and better battery.

2002 WRX Mods:
    AP Stage2/93, ScoobySport Up, Dp, & Muffler, SS AutoChrome TMIC, Hawker PC680T Battery, Injen CAI, ACT Stage2 Clutch, Gruppe-S 13.8lb Flywheel, Mobil1 and Redline oil, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Goodridge SS Lines, Motul RBF600, Hawk HPS pads, 35% 3M tint, Koji Headlight Mod, SilverStar Bulbs, Blaupunkt MP3000 headunit, Infinity BassLink Sub, Kenwood KFC-1689ie speakers (6.5"F / 5.25"R), Rota Downshift (Black), Yokohama AVS ES100 (225/45/17)

An Optima battery will do it, I had one in my truck for 5 years w/ a custom system running two amps w/ 4 cooling fans, two 12"s, a Pheonix Gold Bass cube, and a neon lit amp rack. I had all of that running (not all the way up of course) with my strobe lights in both my head and tail lights on for hours at the Carlisle All-Truck Nationals. She started right up no prob. I also added two TVs in the visors and a Playstation 2 to the mix and the battery never died on me, would loose a little power w/ everything running sitting at a red light light, but nothing to be concerned with. That would be where the bigger alternator and adding a cap would come in

P.S. I had the little brother red top Optima at that, did the job though

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...
    i got an Optima Yellow Top for sale. same size as the stock, just been sitting in my garage. the Yellow is the biggest and baddest of the Optimas. Retail for 175$, i'm selling mine for $100 plus shipping (although this thing is pretty damn heavy, 40 lbs or so)
    if you're interested, PM me. practucally brand new.
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.