Trunk will not open on '04 STi?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trunk will not open on '04 STi? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've had my '04 STi for 3 days now and for some bizarre reason the trunk will not open -- ...

Trunk will not open on '04 STi?

I've had my '04 STi for 3 days now and for some bizarre reason the trunk will not open -- neither the lock release latch from inside car nor the key seems to work (it was working fine yesterday).

Anyone else have this problem?

I guess I can take it back to the dealer to fix, but that is a lot of effort. I would imagine it is easy to just remove the back seat and go see if I can fix it myselt.

Big question, anyone have some clues on how to remove the back seat (upper back section not lower)?

Thanks, Rob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have to remove the bottom of the back seat to access the bolts for the back of the back seat.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Thanks for the help.

I resolved the issue:

1. Push down on trunk hard while turning key -- viola opened.
    2. Adjusted trunk latch to permit clear open/close and still retain trunk seal
    3. added zip tie to latch cable end to take out slop

Found this suggestion in another forum and it seems this is a pretty common problem.

Rob.

I had this same problem with my 04, I took mine to the dealer and they did some adjusting and it works perfect now.

I have a hard time trusting dealers.

Originally posted by V8VENOM
    I have a hard time trusting dealers.
    Why is that

Too many experiences to list. Not ALL dealers are scams, but I'd say about 80% are. In the past, I have found some that are not, but it is rare and if management/ownership changes then you roll the dice again.

I think what would be a valuable contribution or information set is to gather information on dealerships from all the folks in this forum. That way, we all would have some idea on where to take our cars if we need to make good on warranty work or work requiring specialize tools & information.

What I find most disturbing is the BS they feed women. Women are just raped by dealers and/or shops. Even very reputable dealers will feed BS to a women to scare her into maintenance that is not needed.

One of many examples:

My wife goes to her local Honda dealer (large one) where she purschase her '99 Accord V6. They do a 15,000 mi service. She comes back to pick up the car (I was not with her) and the service tech says she needs new brake pads as hers are down to 1-2mm. She asks how much for the pads and the service tech says $149 (just fronts pads only not installed - pair). She says no and tells me the story. So I check it out, take off the wheels inspect the pads, they were barely worn (a good 8-9mm left on them) -- I checked front & rear all were in excellent shape. When the pads did finally need replacement (about 36,000 mi) I picked up front & rears from NAPA for $54.

This is just one of many experiences.

Originally posted by V8VENOM
    Too many experiences to list. Not ALL dealers are scams, but I'd say about 80% are. In the past, I have found some that are not, but it is rare and if management/ownership changes then you roll the dice again.

I think what would be a valuable contribution or information set is to gather information on dealerships from all the folks in this forum. That way, we all would have some idea on where to take our cars if we need to make good on warranty work or work requiring specialize tools & information.

What I find most disturbing is the BS they feed women. Women are just raped by dealers and/or shops. Even very reputable dealers will feed BS to a women to scare her into maintenance that is not needed.

One of many examples:

My wife goes to her local Honda dealer (large one) where she purschase her '99 Accord V6. They do a 15,000 mi service. She comes back to pick up the car (I was not with her) and the service tech says she needs new brake pads as hers are down to 1-2mm. She asks how much for the pads and the service tech says $149 (just fronts pads only not installed - pair). She says no and tells me the story. So I check it out, take off the wheels inspect the pads, they were barely worn (a good 8-9mm left on them) -- I checked front & rear all were in excellent shape. When the pads did finally need replacement (about 36,000 mi) I picked up front & rears from NAPA for $54.

This is just one of many experiences.
    I can understand how you feel this way now, but for something like your trunk not opening, or anything that should be covered under warrenty, you shouldnt hesitate to make them fix it.

I've had too many dings and dents from dealers for me to feel comfortable leaving my car for any reason. The dealers I've encountered park the cars less than 12 inch next to each other -- do you think they'll really go out of there way to squeeze in without smacking the door of the car next to it?

50% of my visit have resulted in my car being returned with dings or scratches caused by the dealer. Some dealers do a ding/scratch check prior to dropping off the car -- a good idea but obviously an indication of how severe the problem is and/or claims.

I know I'm picky about my vehicles, but I have to be, especially the ones I race -- I always pay attention to the details.

Rob.

okay, I had this same problem, I would follow what someone else wrote, use the key but push down on the trunk (not the wing), once it opens, look inside where the locking mechanism is, there is 1 nut to loosen and then you can adjust it up, just dont put it too far up, the trunk will not seat correctly and will be a tad visibly higher than where the sides meet up. This is very simple, takes about 60 seconds....
    01' GSXR1K Sold
    02' S2K Turbo Sold 5-24
    04 SLO STI Sold 01/04
    03' Cobra
    Pictures

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.