help w/ gauge install

This is a discussion on help w/ gauge install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i'm mounting my gauges (boost, egt, and oil temp) on the gaugepod on the a-pillar of my car. most of ...

Houston, TX / Athens, GA -at the same time!
    I Support ClubWRX

help w/ gauge install

i'm mounting my gauges (boost, egt, and oil temp) on the gaugepod on the a-pillar of my car. most of the instructions i've seen have been for the steering collum one or the dash install. how do i work through to hook up the gauges to the a pillar?
    also, how do i do the electrical stuff to hook up the backlighting for the gauges? im so new to this it isnt even funny

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: help w/ gauge install

Originally posted by Penguinking
    i'm mounting my gauges (boost, egt, and oil temp) on the gaugepod on the a-pillar of my car. most of the instructions i've seen have been for the steering collum one or the dash install. how do i work through to hook up the gauges to the a pillar?
    also, how do i do the electrical stuff to hook up the backlighting for the gauges? im so new to this it isnt even funny
    I assume youhave got an A-Pillar replacement with all pods mounted? YOu can simply pull off the a-pillar its only held with some push clips.

The wires (electrical and pressure hoses) will run down behind the a-pillar trim. There is enough space in there.

For the lighting, it depends if you want a dimmable light or a fixed light? I went with dimmable. To do this just remove the silver trim around the stereo. To do this there are 6 clips. 4 along the side (2 on left and 2 on right) and 2 at the bottom.

It's probably easier to remove the cupholder first as you can then get some leverage and see the clips. Then just tap the light wires to the lighter or the ashtray. I went with the lighter. Run you wires to the guages and your in business.

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

I Support ClubWRX
    how am i supposed to get the wires all the way to the center stereo when the a-pillar is on the left side of the car?

how am i supposed to get the wires all the way to the center stereo when the a-pillar is on the left side of the car?
    You just push the wire down the side of the a-pillar and run it behind the dash. You will then see the wire underneath the dash.

The dash is pretty much hollow and there are heaps of other wires behind there. Just get a couple of tie clips and tie the wire to something behind there. Run it behind the stereo.

My guage is mounted on the steering column. The wire just runs down the inside of the steering column and turn toward the stereo.

It really is easier than you think - trust me!!!

PS. You will need to get some extension electrical wire to run from the guage wires (which are normally short) to the power source. Just buy some Male/Female connectors and attach the extension to the guage using those.

Michael
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

I Support ClubWRX
    thanks for the advice, but how do i "tap" into the other wires to get power to the boost gauge? and how do i know which wires to use? also...what do i use for ground?
    Last edited by Penguinking; 04-07-2002 at 06:42 PM.

thanks for the advice, but how do i "tap" into the other wires to get power to the boost gauge? and how do i know which wires to use? also...what do i use for ground?

You will only see two wires going to the cigarette lighter bulb. It doesnt matter which way you tap them just hook one of the guages wires up to one and the other guage wire tothe other.

In 'tapping' the wires you just goto a auto shop and they will know what you want. They are just some clips that you place one of the lighters wires into then one of the guage wires then press together with some pliers.

Very easy
    01 WRX World Rally Blue

Question oil pressure and temp gauges

I'd like to install an oil pressure gauge (VDO from egauges.com). Where is the best place to install the senders for these (very reasonably priced and reliable) gauges. Any help with connector hardware and added detail will be appreciated. I will not install the overpriced Subaru "Performance" gauge pack.

I believe Subaru installs the oil temp sender in the drain plug! There's gotta be a better way. I was thinking of dropping the oil pan and drilling and installing some sort of bung.

The pressure sender is a complete mystery to me. Where to start?

I'm going to do the VDO boost gauge (reads in PSI thank you) but that's far less of a problem.