A few questions about gauges?? (water temp, pyrometer, trans temp, boost)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on A few questions about gauges?? (water temp, pyrometer, trans temp, boost) within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am looking at some gauges online to purchase for my car. Mostly looking at the Lunar 52mm series from ...

bambams247

A few questions about gauges?? (water temp, pyrometer, trans temp, boost)

I am looking at some gauges online to purchase for my car. Mostly looking at the Lunar 52mm series from Autometer. I just need help picking up 3 more gauges. If you guys could help me out with some simple questions for you probably but unknowns for me. Thanks!

Water Temperature Gauge 100-250F [electric]
    1.) Where in the engine does this go/excatly what water temp does it measure?
    2.) Is it really one of the more important ones to have?

Pyrometer 0-1600F [electric]
    1.) Where does this one go?
    2.) What would it be used for?
    3.) How important is it?
    4.) Why does the temperature go up so high?

Trans Temperature 100-250F [electric]
    1.) Does this measure the transmition fluid temp?
    2.) What does it do for a stickshift?
    3.) Is it one of the more important ones?

Boost 35 PSI [mechanical]
    1.) I want to wire this up just for the Nitrous boost, is this a good gauge to do it with?
    2.) How would I connect it to see my boost from nitrous when I am on the button?

I am also getting/have goten these gauges already:
    Oil Press. 2 1/16 [electrical]
    Volt Meter 2 1/16 [electrical]
    Fuel Pressure 0-100 PSI [electrical]
    Air Fuel Ratio [electrical]
    Nitrous Pressure 2 1/16 [mechanical]

1.) Out of the 4 listed which 3 do you guys think that I should get?
    2.) I heard that since the Nitrous pressure gauge is mechanical, having it inside the car might cause problems and might break? Is this true? Any input? I want it on the insdie what can I do?

Thanks guys!

Any additional input or information about the gauges or anything let me know please.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i wonder if the pyrometer is the same as the Exhuast gas temp guage.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

bambams247
    Originally posted by kit99bar
    i wonder if the pyrometer is the same as the Exhuast gas temp guage.
    HEY! Thats a good guess, I think that might be it, i dont know maybe someone will! help us out!

A pyrometer is an egt gauge. And it gets that hot cause you're measuring the temp of the gases that leaves the cylinders after the combustion...and you guessed...it gets even hotter as the engine works harder.

Some say this is the MOST important gauge to have and the sensor probe location may be crucial (the closer to the cylinders, the better).

Now...I take it that these gauges are for bling, bling right? There's nothing wrong w/ that. I only say that because anyone running their car hard enough to need these gauges will most likely know which gauges to get and why already.

You're the first to ever mention a tranny temp gauge. I say just put in some good synthetics and forget it.

That NOS boost gauge seems odd. I don't know anything about nos, but I don't think nos increases boost pressure in the manifold...it's just a denser gas (in terms of oxygen molecules).

good luck!

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

bambams247
    Originally posted by QuickSilver

That NOS boost gauge seems odd. I don't know anything about nos, but I don't think nos increases boost pressure in the manifold...it's just a denser gas (in terms of oxygen molecules).
    Well the nitrous boost gauge I am still trying to figure out how it would be connected. I got the idea when I saw "2Fast 2Furious" (shhh no comments). I noticed how they pressed the N2O button that they had gauges (I asked around and people been saying its boost) that increased while on the button.

At first before I started getting intro Nitrous I thoguh it was the nitrous pressure gauge, but people have told me that will always pretty much increase.

I know it not a regular boost gauge, its a boost guage JUST for that nitrous shot. Reason being Paul walker has 2 shots at different sizes, and he has 1 gauge for each shot. When he laid both buttons down during the first race, he had 2 gauges increasing, at 2 different rates.

So I want to learn how to get a boost gauge that tells me how much boost I am getting from my N2O.

Thanks guys!!!

PS: Does anyone know about the water temp??

Again, I'm clueless about nos, you should ask Pace...but isn't there a wet and dry system? One type feeds into the intake manifold (ie sprays nos into the intake) and another feeds it directly to the individual cylinders??? this is me guessing.

I wouldn;t put too much on what's seen in the movies. I thought those screen meters just indicated how much charge he had left in the nos bottles.

anyways, the wrx already has a "dummy" water temp gauge (ie it's not vary accurate) and it measures the coolant temps...there's a thermostat in your radiator (somewhere). Some people opt to install a more accurate after market gauge.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

Boost, EGT, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure, and maybe A/F are the only gauges you really need. You have a "dummy" water temp gauge in the instrument cluster and oil temp is more critical anyway. Voltage isn't that important. I have a voltage gauge and I only use it when I'm sitting around with the engine off and the stereo on.

You can remote locate the bottle pressure gauges for a nitrous system to tell you the pressure in the bottle(s), but that seems wholely unnecessary to me.

-Jim

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.