2003 Impreza with Air Con problem
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 Impreza with Air Con problem within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i am going to buy 2003 WRX. But i notice that the a/c system didn't provide enough cooling for the ...

2003 Impreza with Air Con problem

i am going to buy 2003 WRX. But i notice that the a/c system didn't provide enough cooling for the cabin. thermostat set to full
    cold position already. It was just cool with marginal reserve. in case parking under the sun for a long time, this a/c system will not
    able to cope the heat inside for sure.
    It is equipped with Calsonic Kansai compressor. what brand of a/c system are yours ? should it be Zexel ?

Any idea ? Normally how good is the a/c system of subaru ?

I live in thailand where traffic jam a lot and ave temp of about
    32-36 degree C. I can't live with car with bad a/c system.

thanks/wiratorn

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I do notice that my A/C isn't quite as strong as my last car. Hard for me to judge since those temperatures you stated are the absolute max we ever see here. We probably only get to 30 or more 5-10 days a year.

However, I believe the A/C cuts out under hard acceleration, so if you were driving hard, then that might explain it.
    - Scuzuliak

most of us are still struggleing with the new A/C regulations. 134a is a far inferior cooling system aid than the old Freon, so if you're previous car was a few years old, you'll no doubt recognize a noticable difference.

try keeping the air on inside vent only. this seems to help re cool recirculated cooler air.

dR

Tinting made the difference on my car - I noticed the system having a hard time keeping it really cool on hot hot days in St Louis (35-38C and 70-90% humidity). then I got 34% tint on the front windows and 20% on the rest and a strip across the windshield and now I can cruise with the a/c on full cold with the fan on 2 - no worries! I find I even have to cycle it off because my hands can get too cold. This is always with the fresh air coming in - I find i get sleepy on recirc.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2003 Impreza with Air Con problem

Originally posted by wiratorn

It is equipped with Calsonic Kansai compressor. what brand of a/c system are yours ? should it be Zexel ?
    Mine says Mitsubishi on it. The radiator, and I assume the A/C condenser, are Calsonic.

I live where it gets to 35C or so, but it's quite dry usually. I've noticed 30C or more and humidity together make the system struggle; my car is MY02.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

me again

Hmm, then it is quite confirmed that the A/C of the Impreza is
    its weak point. Too bad, it is a very good car, but without
    good A/C system , I can't live with it. In my country, it is hot with high humidity and with stop-and-go traffic. And i also noticed that the compressor was off during hard drive. This caused annoying
    varying temp inside the car as i drove. Better go for Evolution VIII.

I drive Skyline GTR but need new car that can be used everyday comfortably, but with strong acceleration. EVO VIII here is over $100,000 while the WRX is just around $52,000. My only option is the fake EVO VIII which is modified from Lancer, it costs around $63,000.
    It is unusual that Subaru has such an A/C, since most japansese car never had problem on A/C. Most can have its thermostat set on the mid way and provide enough cooling.

thanks everybody.

I drove my 2002 WRX through the Mojave desert, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, etc. in the middle of summer and never had any complaints about the A/C. The car was comfortable even at 45C and above. *shrugs*
    FUNKED1
    GO PETTER & TOMMI!!!

Zexel quit shipping their products to Subaru this past summer. Valeo (some French Company) bought them out and shut down their Decatur, Illinois Plant.

I used to live in So. Cal. Have driven through the high desert and across the country . . . with no A/C problems.

Once I hit humid StL (sup aussieinStL) my A/C sucks. I think its time to tint.

I think the main problem with the AC is getting the car cooled down after sitting out in the sun. Once cooled it works great. It takes a few minutes but nothing too bad. Once you're on the road its fine. I live in Kansas City and drive 10 miles to and from work in stop and go traffic. The last few days it has been close to if not 40 degrees C + and with high humidity. I have had no problem with the AC keeping up except when sitting out in the sun all day. The black interior holds in a lot of heat though. I did get the windows tinted 20 degrees out back 30 on the front two and it did help. You should be fine. I work on Nissans and they have very similar AC systems; it's just the R-134a isn't quite as good as the older R-12 systems.
    aquamisted wagon
    12.4 @ 111

Originally posted by dark_rex
    most of us are still struggleing with the new A/C regulations. 134a is a far inferior cooling system aid than the old Freon, so if you're previous car was a few years old, you'll no doubt recognize a noticable difference.

try keeping the air on inside vent only. this seems to help re cool recirculated cooler air.

dR
    This seems to be a common misconception. The AC system in the WRX is just not very good, but it has nothing to do with the refrigerant used. My 2000 Passat and 2001 Corvette, both of which use 134a had great AC, but my 2003 WRX doesn't. The dealer has tried to fix mine several times and tells me that it's normal.....lousy, but normal.

also, switch it to just the top vents, and the air on recirculating, makes a world of difference, i dont have any problems here in fl
    Quote Originally Posted by DTR rex

Peter North > *

Tint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I have 12%all around and with a sunshade on the windsheild the car doesn't really ever feel hot. nothing becomes hot to the touch just warm. just sitting in the sun that is. when driving or w/the ac on I usually have to turn it down from full cold or switch it to feet/defrost to get it off my face and hands even on a fan setting of 1. I'd say it's cold enough for me, and I hate hot weather.
    Dan

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.