Illumination wire for gauge

This is a discussion on Illumination wire for gauge within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've installed my boost gauge and it works great. However, I couldn't figure out what wire to tap for illumination. ...

Illumination wire for gauge

I've installed my boost gauge and it works great. However, I couldn't figure out what wire to tap for illumination.

I have the gauge pod from SubieGal so it sits next to the A-pillar. The wire to the gauge isn't very long so I ended up tapping the green/black wire going to the cruise control switch for 12V.

From what I understand, there is a violet and an orange/white wire going to the switch for illumination. When I test the violet wire, it provided around 11V when the lights are on. That's good, but it doesn't dim with the dimmer switch. When I test the orange/white wire, it is affected by the dimmer switch, but it's opposite. When the dimmer is set at full brightness, it puts out under .5V. When it's turned down all the way, its putting out about 11V.

So I'm guessing that you need to use these two wires together to get it to dim properly, but there's only one illumination wire on the gauge (unless that brown wire they tell you not to use is related). It's an Omori gauge, if that helps.

So... any ideas?

Thanks.
    - Scuzuliak

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can make the Omori's dim, but its hard! You need some certain resisitors wired together to do it, search on NASIOC for the thread..
    '12 WRB Sedan

Thanks! I found the post. For anyone else looking to do this, look here.

It's a little fiddly, but I think I'll give it a shot. Time to hit the electronic components store!
    - Scuzuliak

I just installed it and it works great! Soldering it all together was a PITA, though. Didn't help that my soldering iron has a tip the size of a pencil eraser.
    - Scuzuliak

I tapped the Red (or is it orange) wire going to the fog light switch. My gauges go on and off with my headlights and not my rpm/speedo gauges

should I tap the green/black wire going to the cruise control switch ?
    Last edited by kit99bar; 08-17-2003 at 04:42 PM.
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

The green/black wire is for 12V to operate the gauge and electronic sensor (I have an electronic gauge). As long as your car is on, it has 12V going through it. If you tap into this wire for illumination, your gauge will be lit up all the time, even when your lights are off. Probably not what you want.

The violet and orange/white wires, which are also on the fog light switch, are for illumination. If you tap into the violet wire, your gauge will light up when you turn your headlights on. If you want your gauge to dim, though, you have to build that circut.
    Last edited by Scuzuliak; 08-18-2003 at 08:29 PM.
    - Scuzuliak

my boost gauge seems kinda dim. Is it because the wire that powers the face of the cruise control is not the full 12Volts?
    04 WRX Black no options!
    Helix up/downpipe, HKS catback & Bov, autometer gauges and MRT shortshifter, Bronze Rota SDRs, UTEC, tein SS coilovers, HKS type1 turbo timer, 6000K HIDs, JDM spec C front/rear lips, 20% tint
    to be installed: Mines Spoiler

If I remember correctly, the violet and green/black wires were both the full 12V. Maybe that's just the way your gauge is?
    - Scuzuliak