Subwoofer sizing question
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Subwoofer sizing question within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was wondering - Is there anything wrong with using 2 different size subs? I was thinking that different sized ...

I Support ClubWRX

Subwoofer sizing question

I was wondering - Is there anything wrong with using 2 different size subs? I was thinking that different sized subs have different frequency responce ranges, so why not have 2 or 3 different sizes (ie 8", 10", 12") to better produce as large a frequency range as possibile?

Also, what about 2 subs from different manufacturers since they also would produce different respopnse ranges as well as vastly different sonic signatures?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, it's not really worth the time and effort. A subwoofers job is to reproduce the bottom 2-3 octaves of the audio spectrum. Most people (myself included) have there sub low pass x-over set between 60-100 hz, so having a sub that plays up to 1000 hz (which a 12" will do) is worthless.

Having subs from different manufacturers is also a bad idea, it would be a tuning nightmare. The total output would be the sum of the two subs and their sonic signatures would be blurred together.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds totally reasonable... Thanks bdoug
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Yep, waste of time. The only way it might be worthy is if they were different enough that you'd use a crossover network that seperated the frequencies sent to each one. Sort of a mid-woofer and a subwoofer.

If you just want a lot of bass then get the biggest or a set of the biggest that you want to dedicate the space for. If you're going for the best sound then crossover tuning and gain control will get you there.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Don't get speakers from different manufacturers!!!
    :the quest to be a better driver
    ::the relentless search for untamed twisties

Originally posted by retrodog
    Yep, waste of time. The only way it might be worthy is if they were different enough that you'd use a crossover network that seperated the frequencies sent to each one. Sort of a mid-woofer and a subwoofer.

Yeah, like if you were to run a 18" or larger driver up to 50 hz and a 8" from 50 to 100 hz.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.