speaker whine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on speaker whine within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so anyways, i put in some Boston acoustics components in the front doors, powered by an amp under my seat, ...

zipity here, zipity there, i'm zipity everywhere...

speaker whine

so anyways, i put in some Boston acoustics components in the front doors, powered by an amp under my seat, everything was cool. when i added my basslink, i ran thicker power wire (4 ga) to under my seat, then split the wire (dist. block) 1 to the basslink 8 ga, and one to the amp for the bostons 8 ga. now with the music low, i get a REALLY annoying whine from my passenger tweeter than corresponds to RPMs. not TOO loud, but i can hear it. now, i don't have any powers touching any RCAs, what else could possibly make this happen? please respond
    i'm bombin' uppercut swipes
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A bad ground could cause this. Make sure all units are grounded well to the chassis. Also check metal trim on the RCA cables that could be making contact to other metal that isn't grounded properly. If none of this helps, try switching the RCA cables at the amp end to see if the noise changes to the other speaker. This will tell you if the noise is coming previous to the amp or internal. That might be a good first step to give you a better idea of what to attack first anyway.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Ill have to agree. Sounds like you need to ground out better.

thanks, i'll try that, anyone else?
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

Leave the engine off when you want to listen to music. j/k. Yeah I agree with the previous posts, especially check the grounds. Also check to make sure the RCA's are not pinched.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

ground or power

it could be bad ground or power to close to rca

its alternator noise

bambams247
    Common problem called alternator whine ;-) ;-) (i work @ a car audio store). All you have to do is get one of these:

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...=0&cc=01&g=780

And it should fix your problem

Get it after you check all the grounds first...if the ground fixes it you should be all set. You can also try a double ground, where you split the grounding cable and find 2 ground points....thats always a good idea. Good luck!

thanks for all the suggestions guys. i still haven't done anything about it yet cause i'm too lazy to lift the seat up, (i grounded the amp to the left rear bolt that hold down the drivers seat) made sure to sand it down first. its the same place i had it grounded before, only then it was fine. question: would having a power wire near or touching the ground wire cause this problem? cause the power is crossing the ground at one point i believe
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

bambams247
    Originally posted by RexMobbin'
    thanks for all the suggestions guys. i still haven't done anything about it yet cause i'm too lazy to lift the seat up, (i grounded the amp to the left rear bolt that hold down the drivers seat) made sure to sand it down first. its the same place i had it grounded before, only then it was fine. question: would having a power wire near or touching the ground wire cause this problem? cause the power is crossing the ground at one point i believe
    Well if the power wire was touching the ground wire, ud have sparx all over the place and could start a fire so thats bad. Let us know how it works out.

it would spark even if just the plastic wrapped parts of the wires were touching? i'll definetely try out that ground though.
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

bambams247
    Originally posted by RexMobbin'
    it would spark even if just the plastic wrapped parts of the wires were touching? i'll definetely try out that ground though.
    oh no, jstu the wires themselves would ahve to touch. ANd u can run ground and power right next to each other, thats not a big deal...i do it all the time......

My stuff's taking forever to get done...Alpine takes forever to fullfill an order :-(

I WANT MY BASSSSSS

i used to have a alpine typer 15, and was puting 300 rms into it. it sounded very nice, then i decided to be a wise as$ and step up the power to a RF Power 1100aČ blew that alpine up in a weekend. had to switch to the big dog RF power 15". SQ not as nice, but man did that shiot POUND. now i don't want anything near as big or heavy, so the basslink is just fine for me now. free bump for me as i'm still selling the amp if you know anyone interested.
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

Get something called a "Ground Loop Isolator" they sell em at radio shack or at crutchfield. They're about 15 bucks, and get rid of the exact problem you're talking about. They go in between the RCA's and the amp.

Originally posted by Subroc
    Get something called a "Ground Loop Isolator" they sell em at radio shack or at crutchfield. They're about 15 bucks, and get rid of the exact problem you're talking about. They go in between the RCA's and the amp.
    i may have to look into those. thanks, are they just an extra wire, or a big boxy thing? i tried undoing the ground, moving it to the tranny mount hole, no luck. this sucks
    as my knuckles ignite
    more strikes
    than a teachin' staff's
    fights for pay hikes

It's this tiny little box (like 1" by 3") with L&R RCA in, and L&R RCA out. Ground Loop Isolator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast