HELP: Choosing Audio System!
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP: Choosing Audio System! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok guys heres my problem. I got about 1.5k-2k to spend on a system w/ wires and install. Need to ...

Arrow HELP: Choosing Audio System!

Ok guys heres my problem. I got about 1.5k-2k to spend on a system w/ wires and install. Need to buy the top of the line equipment i can find with the cash i have.

I already have=
    MIDS=Boston Acoustic 6.5" LF (pro series) Rear Doors
    SUB=Boston Acoustic 12.5" Pro Comp (Enclosed Box)
    AMP=Sound Stream 5 Channel 600 Watts

I need=
    Head Unit= Maybe Eclipse, Alpine 9815? Any recommendations?

Another AMP=To power sub full potential? My soundstream might not be working any other brands that are really good?

Front Door Mids + Highs= Boston Acoustic New version w/ silver cone in speaker. (forgot the name) cost $450

Wiring= I heard theres better wiring than Monster cable..

Are the Bostons to Deep?? They have a big magnet?

And anything else you guys can think of that i might need. thanks
    Last edited by MetaLFaceDoom; 08-12-2003 at 11:50 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Is there a reason you like Boston Acoustic so much? Personally I don't think any one brand is the best in every speaker category. What exactly do you want to improve, sound-wise? Deeper bass, better sound quality? I would recommend getting a dedicated amp for your sub(s). If you have an amp for your component speakers, definitely go with one of the high-end Eclipse decks. They are amazing.

If you don't go Eclipse, I've been very pleased with my Pioneer DEH-P8400MP. As for mids and highs, I haven't really heard Boston Acoustics for these, but I hear Cerwin Vega has some good, decently priced mids and highs.

Yes, there is wiring much better than Monster cable. For possibly the best sound quality, get Stinger RCA cables. They are pricey, but I've noticed the difference in my friend's car with an Eclipse deck.

Again, I can try to help further once I know more about what your goals are.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I had a set of cerwin mids and highs, and a pair of directed amps. They seemed to work for me. Just make sure you have some way to adjust the freq.

I have the Alpine 9811 head, and it's GREAT. I'm sure the 9815 would make you very happy as well. From what I hear, Eclipse heads are overpriced for what you get. I'd go Alpine.

I have an alpine 9813 and they are pretty nice.
    I wanted to get the Eclipse but they don't have the
    removable face option instead they have the ESN security
    thing. I know if the ESN is turned on and got stolen the
    unit wont work at all but it won't stop thieves in taking it.
    Atleast if the face it detached they won't know if you have
    a high end unit. I think you will love the 9815, it has more
    features than the 9813.

So u need another components in the front?
    I think your talking about the proseries 6.5 components.
    THey have a mounting depth of 2 3/8". They will fit
    in the front with a spacer. But i doubt your 6.5 LF will
    fit the rear doors. Right now you have a 4" at the rear.
    You might have make the hole bigger to fit the 6.5.

Your sub can max to 1000 watts. It doesnt say in the site
    if whats the recommended rms wattage. I assume 400-500.
    If that's the case your sub will be underpowered by your
    5 channel soundstream amp. If you have the RUB550-5 you only have 150 watts for the sub, the Van Gogh VGA 800.5 has 200 watts rms, and the Edge Series EG5740 also 150 x 1. What model do you have by the way.

You can also sell your amp and get 1 - 4 channel amp and one 2 channel amp. You could use one VGA600.2 (600x1) and an VGA500.4 (125x4) both soundstream van gogh amps.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.