What boost values should i be getting?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on What boost values should i be getting? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi Folks, I'm concerned that my stock boost gauge (installed at dealer) is not reading correctly. I have been searching ...

What boost values should i be getting?

Hi Folks,

I'm concerned that my stock boost gauge (installed at dealer) is not reading correctly. I have been searching (using terms like "stock boost gauge readings" and "turbo gauge readings") the board here, and it seems that most folks get a lot of boost w/ a little throttle input. I have to floor it (that's pedal hard on the floor, no partial) to get it anywhere near 0.1MPa. If i give it partial throttle, it will barely move to within 0.05MPa. I've read folks giving boost values at certain RPM's in certain gears, but mine doesn't seem to work like that. If i'm at 4K in 3rd gear i can be at 0.00MPa. If i give it a good bit of gas it will creep up, but it will not go anywhere near 0.1MPa unless i FLOOR it. Do these observations seem correct? Please show me the light. Thanks in advance.
    -JVS
    `03 WRX stock
    666 is just a number... sheesh!

There's a lot to be said for keeping your mouth shut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

you will not get boost unless you are under load - which is mostly at WOT. You can get some boost at partial throttle.

You are not seeing anything odd.
    What people refer to is how quickly the turbo spools once you plant your foot. Try in 3rd from about 2000rpm and you will see what people are talking about. The thing that you should be interested in is when you get to the highest boost value.

The tubo will not produce positive pressure unless there is a load on the engine. If your cruising at part throttle on level ground while maintaining the same speed you should actually be in vacuum.

In third gear while accelerating hard over 3000 rpms (stock turbo/ boost control) you should see just about 0.1 Mpa.

But, if your at 4000 rpms in third gear (like you said) but not accelerating, it's normal to have 0.0 Mpa or vacuum (unless your on a hill or towing).

edit: damn, aussieinstlouis beat me to it, I type too slow
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Do you know why I pulled you over?
    No sir...
    You were typing at least 90 words per minute!

Just a quick thanks to both of you for the quick replies. I feel better now. Well, at least i feel better about my gauge readings.
    -JVS
    `03 WRX stock
    666 is just a number... sheesh!

There's a lot to be said for keeping your mouth shut.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.