Sti/Wrx Door Panel Speaker Problem?

This is a discussion on Sti/Wrx Door Panel Speaker Problem? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I was just wondering if anyone had a problem with the install of speakers to the door panels? Supposbly a ...

Arrow Sti/Wrx Door Panel Speaker Problem?

I was just wondering if anyone had a problem with the install of speakers to the door panels? Supposbly a local Stereo installer said that we cannot install any type of speakers to our cars that are relative size to Boston Acoustic, MB Quart and others due to clearance problems (Magnet?), He said "When the window goes down it can crack the window or break the motor." He recommended the Phoenix golds TI6 Elite components.

http://www.phoenixgold.com/tielitecomp.html

I have a slight presumption that he is trying to sucker us into buying new stereo equip but dont want to call BS without being 100% sure.

I personally have a Wrx and just installed MB Quartz Q Series but the process is not done yet? So i have not been able to notice anything yet. Thanks for all the replys ! Really needed the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You can install almost any speaker in the door for as long as you use a spacer. I don't recall the exact depth of the spacer, but there have been many threads on the subject.

bambams247
    Where can I find those spacers? I bought some Alpine Type R components and the installer was not able to put them in there because he also said it was going to fit in the door. It would hear the window. Let me know guys, thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    I am currently using 6.25" polk/momo components. The driver on these things is huge and the basket is even bigger. From the back they make the Type R's look like midgets. Even the 6.75 inchers. The mounting depth for the momo's is 2 13/16 inches and I got the to fit using a 3/4" mdf spacer ring that I cut.

Find a better installer.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Originally posted by bambams247
    Where can I find those spacers? I bought some Alpine Type R components and the installer was not able to put them in there because he also said it was going to fit in the door. It would hear the window. Let me know guys, thanks.
    a lot of people have been saying 'where can i buy these magical spacer?' any decent installer worth his salt should easily be able to make them. it's not rocket science, nothing special, and if they can't or won't make 'em for you, they're not worth working on your car. sure you can buy generic ones, but i'm tired of hearing about installers that automatically say "nope it won't fit" and don't even offer the spacer solution, whether because they don't know about it or don't know how to do it. (crossposting this in the Sti forum because this thread is there too.)
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

thx again

Thanks again for all the info really needed that info before the guy tryed to steal from us. He was charging us $800 for Phoenix gold 2 ways(they go for$580) and dynamat for 450!

I Support ClubWRX
    MetalFace, If you have a minute please make post in your regional forum about this installer so others know not to deal with him. Thanks
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

I made my own spacers.. and I don't even call myself an 'Installer'.

Sheesh.. give a guy a Circuit City name tag and he thinks he's an Installer They told me the same thing..... actually they told me it wouldn't be worth doing without changing the head unit and adding an amp. So I bought the speakers, installed them myself, and they were DEAD WRONG!

I have some adapter (kits) laying around drop me an email or pm for some more info.
    03 grocery get'n wagon