New audio system install, having problems

This is a discussion on New audio system install, having problems within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i just installed my audio system. -HU -stock speaks -4 channel amp -12" sub (sub and speaks are amplified ...

New audio system install, having problems

Well i just installed my audio system.
    -HU
    -stock speaks
    -4 channel amp
    -12" sub
    (sub and speaks are amplified through my amplifier)

Now, my problem. I am getting a whistling noise through my speakers that fluctuates with the engine RPM. My friend said that my ground was not good, and this is cuasing the whistling. Is this true? Where should I ground my amp?

Also, is amplifing the stock speakers a good idea? They sound pretty nice, but I'm afraid of blowing them out.

Thanks for helping
    -Shibby
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bambams247
    Get a better ground and you probably will need this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mobLTDs...asp?i=127ANS80

I would suggest giving the grounding mod with a distribution block a try. Sounds like you are getting engine noise in your system. Don't turn the stock speakers up too loud if you have them hooked up to an external amp. You'll be able to tell when you are pushing the speakers a little too much when they distort.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

It is definitely a ground issue. I had the same thing happen to mine when I installed my amps. To be quite honest , Listen carefully for distortion in the stock speakers but they will handle power from an amp quit well for being stock. Just watch where your gain is set.
    The noise filter from crutchfield may work but you could save yourself time and money just by relocating your ground wire. Where do you have amp and ground wire mounted? My amps are mounted under my seats and I have both ground wire ran under the carpet and under the kick panels on both sides. I just scraped the paint and used crimps and self tapping screws to mount them. Worked for me
    Last edited by 04silver bullet; 08-11-2003 at 05:37 AM.

Like everyone else said, "move your ground". Sometimes one foot makes a big difference. Make sure you run your power wire down one side of the car and the RCA/speaker wire down the other. Never run RCA/speaker side by side power wire. If you have to cross the wires make a " + ". That will help keep the noise out of your system.
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

I moved my ground to the spare tire well. I drilled a hole in the metal and scraped up the paint. My system sounds much better and hits much harder becuase of the better ground. I still have some alternator whine, so I'm going to try the noise filter rather than spreading my power cable and RCA's to different sides of the car. i will do that as a last resort b/c its a lot of work.
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

Well it does indeed sound like a grounding problem but filtering the power is never a bad idea. That whine is the alternator so filtering all points of interest are a good idea. A nice sized capacitor on the battery power to the HU might help a little but also an inductor feeding that (probably what's inside that thing above) might help as well (bambams247 post). I'd definitely start with a better ground to the chassis cause that will be easy and almost free. And it might prove adequate.

Good luck.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.