Momo shift knob install

This is a discussion on Momo shift knob install within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; How do I get the leather boot to stay up around the shift knob? I'm installing the new Momo Sphere ...

Momo shift knob install

How do I get the leather boot to stay up around the shift knob? I'm installing the new Momo Sphere Shift Knob.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump cuase i wanna know to
    --Jason-- 2004 MT WRB WRX
    Cobb Stage 2 more goodies:
    STi SS | Blitz SUS | Samco IC Hoses | Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Endlinks | Eibach's | Steel Gray Rota Downshifts | Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's | Blitz DTT-DC2 | Phatty-Ass System

"This is my WRX. There are many others like it, but this one is mine. My WRX is my best friend. It is my life. I must master my WRX as I must master my life. Without me, my WRX is useless. Without my WRX, I am useless."

They sell a small part that screws into the knob and it has a little lip on it to hold the boot. Besides that, it won't stay. Bad pic, but I have the piece and I got it from a member on NASIOC.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails momo1.jpg  
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

This might be a dumb question, but would the Momo shift boot fit any better?

The MOMO boot looks as if it has more material to it, but I can't say for sure. That's just what I can see from pics, so it might fit better.

BTW, thanks for your input; I was doubting anyone would reply. Have you seen this screw-in piece anywhere besides NASIOC? Any vendors? Or would some kind of jury-rigged rubber washer (hell, even a bunched-up rubber band!) wrapped around the shifter bar (underneath the boot) hold it up?

The only place I have ever seen it is on my car. I don't know where to get it. I have heard of some people using a rubber band to hold up the boot and it seemed to have worked. Of course, it will dry up eventually.

I'll see if I can track down some metal piece (Home Depot?) that 1) matches the diameter of the shift rod, and 2) can be tightened down. I'd imagine many people might be interested in it.

I'll post pics when I have it done. Thanks for your help...I'm off to bed now.

Alot of people simply choose to buy a small piece of hose and clamp it down with zip-ties. Do a search on NASIOC or Scoobymods and I'm sure you'll find pics.
    Really, anything rubber that will stick to the knob that can be fastened down will work just fine...

Originally posted by acsWRX
    Really, anything rubber that will stick to the knob that can be fastened down will work just fine...
    How about a sticky rubber?

I'll post some pics of my install. I'll also dig around at Home Depot this weekend and get back to you guys on the result. Thanks again for your input!