momo race airleather shift knob
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on momo race airleather shift knob within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay, I know this is going to sound EXTREMELY anal, but that's just how it goes. I can't answer this ...

momo race airleather shift knob

Okay, I know this is going to sound EXTREMELY anal, but that's just how it goes. I can't answer this for myself yet since I'm not picking up my '04 WRX for a few days, but I was looking to add the Momo Race AirLeather shift knob (got the factory short throw shifter, so you can imagine the height of the knob).

Now, this sphere-shaped knob comes in a variety of setups, but I'm trying to decide betw. the one that is entirely 'airleather' versus the one that has the top half as 'airleather' and the bottom half as aluminum (I don't have the carbon-fiber interior trim, so no need for that on the shift knob). Since this is a pretty popular knob to order, I'm sure several of you have either of these two versions of it. Any thoughts as to which looks smoother would be great.

I don't know how large the knob itself is, so I don't know whether there is any difference betw. having leather or aluminum on the bottom half in terms of feel.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

One thing that swayed me towards the all leather was the fact that the metal can get really hot during the summer. Living in Arizona, summer lasts half the year. Even with the all leather, the small metal ring on top burns me every time.
    "You have a sunburn, mmm, like chokolada, ahhh, it's you, me and Pina Colada."

I have the full leather, i don't see any reason for half aluminum...

Great knob, you can lower the the height a tiny bit.

Get whatever knob YOU want, who cares what others have basically!
    '12 WRB Sedan

Originally posted by Hah72215
    One thing that swayed me towards the all leather was the fact that the metal can get really hot during the summer. Living in Arizona, summer lasts half the year. Even with the all leather, the small metal ring on top burns me every time.
    werd.
    03 Cobra
    566whp/515wtq

Pics
    & Dyno
    Pics

i live in ohio and its warm to hot some of the year and bone chilling cold the rest.

I have both.. i got the blue top air leather / bottom metal... Had to get a all black air leather once i saw they had'em... I love my all leather one. It looks totally stock. People that know the steering wheel is stock ask if that was a factory option or stock shifter.

Oh btw i gotta blue top airleather / black metal shifter for cheep if anyone wants to make an offer.

what about the all black Race AirLeather (all leather) versus the black leather Sphere (the one w/the two metal rings)

i'm told the Sphere is newer and that there's some sort of problem w/the Race AirLeather and some sticker coming off after some time (?)

also, i think the leather on the Sphere is supposed to be different

and 03WRXMA, I'm obviously getting the knob I want, I just haven't been able to see either of these knobs in person or installed, so I thought I'd just get some insight from those who've already installed them

I have seen a couple cars with race air leather shifters like mine. I have never heard of any problems with stickers or anything.

I was thinking of getting the Air leather MOMO as well, but the thing that keeps me thinking about that Kartboy instead is the fact that the MOMO uses set screws instead of threads. I've heard the set screws are a PITA compared to a threaded shifter like the Kartboy.

Just something else to weigh in your decision...

-MacGomez-
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)

it took me a couple trys tightening the screws b4 it stayed. B4 i figured out how hard to tighten the thing would come a little loose and just vibe a little. Never ever came off cause the set screws dig into the threads a little and that will make it hold pretty good..

They are a pita initially..

Are they comfortable? seems like the ball doesnt really seem too comfortable in your hand . . . the prodrive seems better.

I have had no problems with the screws on the momo and it installed in seconds. I have a feeling that some people are not installing it correctly. At first I tried to install it where the threads are, but found that if you push all the way down it seems to go past the threads and fits like a glove. Mine was fairly tight even without the screws. This also give it a shorter throw than the stocker.

<Ryan>
    '00 Silverthorn Metallic 2.5 RS
    '04 San Remo Red WRX Wagon

its really comfy... to me..

I have the all leather one. I did not have to use set screws because I have a piece that fits into the bottom of the knob that holds up the boot. This piece also allows me to just screw on the knob.

Originally posted by AjIsDope
    I have the all leather one. I did not have to use set screws because I have a piece that fits into the bottom of the knob that holds up the boot. This piece also allows me to just screw on the knob.
    You had to buy that little piece seperately right?
    I just used loc-tite on the set screws and rubber bands wrapped around the shaft (that doesn't sound right) to hold up the boot.
    Kinda ghetto but you can't tell by looking at it. Has worked fine since install.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast