sub in rear seat armrest?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on sub in rear seat armrest? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I saw a pic a little while ago that REALLY interested me, i cant find it anymore, but he had ...

sub in rear seat armrest?

I saw a pic a little while ago that REALLY interested me, i cant find it anymore, but he had 1 or 2 subs installed in that door to get into the trunk from the rear seat, so you could see the front of the sub from the inside of the car when the armrest was down.. i would really like this, since im not gonna be openning my trunk to show people my subs...too much effort. can anyone give me this pic or tell me how this would work, or if its a good idea at all? how it would sound etc..i think it would be amazing if i fit 2 subs in there and had blue light shining on it..Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

i did that in my '04 WRX - it worked exceptionally well, except that it's not as big an opening as you think. we used two 8" boston pro subs, and stacked them vertically - one you could see the whole driver, and the one above it, maybe 2/3 of it. it sounded very good, but any bigger subs and you're not gonna see the whole thing. on a side note, if you tune it so it sounds good with the armrest down, it tends to muffle out when you put the armrest up. but it does work.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

thanks for the reply! any pics?

i'd recomend NOT doing that. only b/c i would rather have 2 12's or 2 10's in the trunk. I dont understand why you want everyone to see them anyway. Plus unless your windows are tinted, everyone outside teh car can see them as well, which mean that they might possibly be stolen. Just my 2 cents.

I had my 12" RF Power HKS set up like this. It honestly sucked. The sub just didn't sound right at all. So after turning it around (facing the trunk) it sounded how it should. But then i decided that was taking up too much room so I stuck it in the wheel well and oh man that just rocks .

Originally posted by f1ce
    I had my 12" RF Power HKS set up like this. It honestly sucked. The sub just didn't sound right at all. So after turning it around (facing the trunk) it sounded how it should. But then i decided that was taking up too much room so I stuck it in the wheel well and oh man that just rocks .
    Thats b/c the trunk acts like another enclosure for the subs. Much better that way....and in the wheel well just rocks!! way to go.

Originally posted by opXus
    i'd recomend NOT doing that. only b/c i would rather have 2 12's or 2 10's in the trunk. I dont understand why you want everyone to see them anyway. Plus unless your windows are tinted, everyone outside teh car can see them as well, which mean that they might possibly be stolen. Just my 2 cents.
    where to begin. you'd recommend NOT doing that because you personall would rather have 2 12's or 10's. ok... i'm not sure why that means you recommend not doing it.

as to everyone seeing them... some people like to be able to show off their installs, and the whole point is that you can push the armrest up and they're out of sight, but still heard. if you have 2 subs of any size in a car, trust me - people will hear and notice you as easily as looking in your window. if you think that people don't listen for car audio systems on the road then pay attention to where they go, you're naive. a couple of 10's or 12's in the trunk is every bit as obvious as a pair of 8's in the armrest.

as to which size you might like, it depends on the level of bass you're looking for - i like more rock-bass, therefore the faster, tighter 8's suit me better. if i were into rap more, i'd look for something bigger. ask anyone who was at the King of Prussia meet who heard my car - it's plenty.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."

Lightning, First of all, I'm not naive. Second, i dont think that putting them in that location is a good idea. I believe that they sound better by just putting them in some kind of enclosure in the trunk, with them pointed either towards the back, or if theyre in the wheel well then up or down (depending on install). Yes i do understand that people listen for systems and steal them but by putting them so everyone can see them, is twice as bad. Anyway like I said "thats just my 2 cents". Your opinion is your opinion, it was just my opinion that I put there. Thanx for the flame tho much appreciated

Originally posted by opXus
    Lightning, First of all, I'm not naive. Second, i dont think that putting them in that location is a good idea. I believe that they sound better by just putting them in some kind of enclosure in the trunk, with them pointed either towards the back, or if theyre in the wheel well then up or down (depending on install). Yes i do understand that people listen for systems and steal them but by putting them so everyone can see them, is twice as bad. Anyway like I said "thats just my 2 cents". Your opinion is your opinion, it was just my opinion that I put there. Thanx for the flame tho much appreciated
    have you even tried listening to the subs in the armrest, or are you just stating that you don't think it'll work?

i wasn't flaming you. but you're stating your opinion as fact. we're not talking about an incredibly well-sealed trunk, here. up down, side to side - doesn't make a lot of difference. i know - i built a few different boxes in different configurations and volume, including a long ported design, where the ports exit in the rear deck and the subs are in the wheel wells. using the cabin's airspace worked the best for me, in both the '04 WRX and the '04 STi. again, i emphasize, for rock bass, not deep rap bass. i also emphasize that the wheel well idea doesn't work for those of us with STi's, either. the right wheel well has a large water tank living there, and the left is where the jack is.

oh - nearly forgot - my subs were NOT on display when i used them - it sounded fine with the armrest up, and i only lowered it when i wanted some serious volume. no one knew they were there unless i showed them.

don't be so defensive. be open to new ideas. some of them actually work
    s e t h

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.