Factory Alarm Defective?

This is a discussion on Factory Alarm Defective? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently installed the factory alarm. Everything works, except for the shock sensor. No, I am not in Valet mode, ...

Factory Alarm Defective?

I recently installed the factory alarm. Everything works, except for the shock sensor. No, I am not in Valet mode, and yes my sensitivity is turned to max, but no matter how much I pound on the interior, or kick the tires, the shock sensor will not respond. Does anyone else have this problem? Or do I have to take it back to the dealership?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Never mind, by tapping on the shock sensor itself, I was able to set it off. I also pulled the carpeting under the sensor up to the side, and pushed down the thick padding so the sensor sits on bare metal. I still cant set it off normally though, what a POS.

I have the factory alarm, and the thing isn't super sensative. Good thing, because of what people do to cars for alarms going off. Still, it's sensative enough to know when the car is being f***ed with. I was washing it one day, and didn't disarm the alarm. I was leaning against the side, washing the roof, and next thing I knew... "BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEEP!" Just two quick noises from the system. It was enough to make me jump back, and it stopped just as fast. I think it might have some warning system on it to say "BACK THE F*** UP, OR I'LL GO ALL OUT!" I've left my dog in the car for a couple of minutes once as I ran into a movie store to return some movies. By the time I was walking back out (less than a minute), my dog set off the alarm. He's only a 30lb dog at that.

Oh well

My alarm goes off if you tap on the spoiler.

How do you adjust sensitivity?
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

Originally posted by MidnightFLAT4
    I like A/C for the sole reason that it makes the idle sound meaner.

which alarm system to you have? does the horn beep or does an alarm chirp? the standard alarm (beep) doesn't do too much - i didn't even know it HAD a shock sensor - i figured it was just an 'open the door, car goes off' kinda thing. if the car chirps, it's the upgraded alarm system, made by alpine. that's what's been on both of my '04's and (for a stock system), it's not half bad. the shock sensor works just fine, although i keep opening the trunk and forgetting about it. my friend has the standard system on her impreza wagon, and it's basically useless.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Upgraded alarm with the chirp. I know I have a shock sensor, I've set it off by accident. Is it adjustable? Also, I've opened the trunk and set it off too, a few times, so don't feel bad

-Blue
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

I've set off my stock, non-upgraded alarm just by kicking the tires a bit. *shrug*
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

So I'm guessing its not adjustable, they just vary in sensitivity...

-Blue
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

My observations with the stock 02 alarm...

Had hood up one day, forgot alarm was armed. Closed hood. Alarm gave those "warning" horn beeps. I don't slam my hood, but still... One would think it would go full-alarm for that. Guess not.

Kicked driver's-side rear tire in garage one day. Set off alarm.

Was a dope one day and opened trunk with key before disarming. Results as expected.

I believe there's a sensitivity adjustement screw under the plastic between the seats, but I've never poked around to see for sure.
    02 WRX Sedan, Silver ("Bugeye")
    TXS Up-pipe, Turbo-back w/cat, Cobb AccessECU Stage 2.
    97 Legacy Outback, White
    Stock. Very stock.

I have the beeping factory alarm. The adjustment is right on top of the shock sensor behind a piece of tape. I don't know about the upgraded alarm.

Originally posted by Dave
    I have the beeping factory alarm. The adjustment is right on top of the shock sensor behind a piece of tape. I don't know about the upgraded alarm.
    Adjustments are always on the shock sensor, which doesn't help if I don't know where that is...
    --2004 WRB WRX--
    Still way too stock.

It may be in the same location as my sensor, which is right under the parking brake cover. It's only held on by a few pop out tabs.