Runnin Cables

This is a discussion on Runnin Cables within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; All of you suby guru's out there. Any hints on the best/cleanest/shortest places to run 4ga. cable from battery to ...

Runnin Cables

All of you suby guru's out there. Any hints on the best/cleanest/shortest places to run 4ga. cable from battery to the trunk. (passthru's, under sill?) Also, for rca cables from head to trunk??? Anyone??
    '02 Blue WRX - Stock
    '67 Red Firebird

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Can't help you a whole lot, but hopefully you know enough to keep the power wire and the RCA cables as far away from each other as possible. I thought I remember someone mentioning a hole in the firewall on the driver's side near the floor or something. Sorry I'm not much more help.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

poke around there are multiple grommets on the firewall and they are all pass throughs to the cabin. The one behind the clutch is most popular and then there's one behind the IC and I think there's one for the wire bundles on the passenger side. Follow the wires and eventually it'll end up in the cabin.

Hg.
    '02 Plat. Wagon, Manual

There are a couple of plugs in the firewall right behind the intercooler. They give way to holes about 1/2" in diameter, maybe a bit more. Wiring from the under dash area can go under the kick panels and down the sides. The side trim (plastic) can easily be pulled up, since there are just some friction inserts holding it in place. Underneath it is a nice little channel for running wires. Remove the rear seat and then you can easily run the wires underneath and into the trunk. The primary places that you will need to kind of push the wires up under are at the trim piece between the edge trim of the front and back door, and then the trim piece at the rear seat edge.
    Mmmmm Kitty,,, the other red meat.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Update:

I ran my 10 gauge wire last night. After popping the plug out (behind the IC) you have to cut a hole through the sound-deadening padding. I did this with a screw. The padding is thick and had sort of a plastic coating on the interior side. After getting an adequate hole in it I managed to poke the wire through it and down at an angle, which is necessary due to there being something only about 1/2" behind it. Well when I finally got the angle of the wire correct I was able to snake a few feet on through. Then I could see it from inside, from under the dash and pull it on through for making the run. I suppose that after I get the lengths all fixed and positioned the smart thing will be to use silicone around the wire where it passes through the firewall.

Oh, and make sure to use some wire ties to properly dress the cable with other things, keeping it away from the IC or any other metal surface that gets hot. The inside edge of the hole is painted and smooth but some sort of grommet might be a nice preventative measure to avoid long-term abrasion.

Please note: no cats were harmed in any way during the making of this post. But there is always later.

Thanks for the replies. I used one behind the IC next to the clutch mastercyl. ran down the sill plates and under the back seat. It was so easy I kinda feel sorry for people that dont own subies.... Also kinda interesting all of the room under the back seat. must be 3-4". Anyone been able to measure how much there is w/ someone sitting on the cusion?
    '02 Blue WRX - Stock
    '67 Red Firebird

Originally posted by Convict
    Thanks for the replies. I used one behind the IC next to the clutch mastercyl. ran down the sill plates and under the back seat. It was so easy I kinda feel sorry for people that dont own subies.... Also kinda interesting all of the room under the back seat. must be 3-4". Anyone been able to measure how much there is w/ someone sitting on the cusion?
    Okay, what you'll need is some playdough (I have no idea how to spell that) or something similar. It must compress and stay that way. Then buid it up somewhat and place wax paper on the bottom and top. Place it in the area that you want to measure and replace the rear seat. Get the fattest/heaviest butt that is gonna sit on it and have at it. After removing the seat, use a measuring device to stick into the playdough at different locations. Then you'll know how much room you have there.

But note: don't put anything in there that generates heat cause it won't get any air cooling without some more mods. If you really must though, you can use some sort of thermal conductor between the unit and any metal underneath. Get ready for some extensive experimentation with temp. probes or thermocouples though.