My dash modification - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on My dash modification within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by AUSSIE MY99 I did red bulb condoms and mine doesn't look that bright as well... and foglamp ...

Arrow

Originally posted by AUSSIE MY99
    I did red bulb condoms and mine doesn't look that bright as well... and foglamp and cruise control switchs are almost invisible.
    Ditto, my dash is dim and the cruise and fog light buttons once the bulb condoms are changed you can hardly see them if that! Although when I changed all of the stero bulb condoms and HVAC lights they are nice and bright! I just wish I could get the dash brighter... I am conteplating buying the STI cluster... but $450....

-Nigel
    ~NSG~

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just did my stereo with blue LED's; looks awesome. Two things I did differently from the DIY on scoobymods:

1. Sanded all the LED's with a medium weight sandpaper (looks like about a 60 grit) -- this results in much much better light diffusion; I have really even lighting on the stereo.

2. I worked from the polarity marking that Zapix posted and found that two of them were backwards for my car (US 2002 Impreza WRX). I'll post the polarities that I used coming up next.

Next up gonna do the dash and HVAC, but need to wait for my LED's to come in from LEDtronics.

Anyone have opinions on Reverse Indiglos? Thinkin about these http://www.speedhut.com/el_detail.as...ber=392&bhcp=1 but have heard that gauges like these can wrinkle and that the power converter makes noise.

Used the Blue LED's and 330 Ohm resistors from radio shack; other than the reversed polarity on the above mentioned 2 diodes went without a hitch.
    Last edited by Surtr; 01-25-2004 at 07:53 PM.
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else

Here's a shot of the dash (stock) with the LED mod done on the stereo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf0021.jpg  

Here are the polarities I used for the LEDs. Corrections I made are shown in blue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 105-0550_img.jpg  

Originally posted by Surtr
    Anyone have opinions on Reverse Indiglos? Thinkin about these http://www.speedhut.com/el_detail.as...ber=392&bhcp=1 but have heard that gauges like these can wrinkle and that the power converter makes noise.
    Oops, those aren't reverse indiglos! Anyway, anyone have any advice about reverses?

anyone know the electrical rating of the stock led's?

is it 5 or 12 vdc? 10 mA?
    k&n, sti-hoodscoop, engine mounts, & tranny mount, blitz dtt, catless up-pipe, samco ic hose, greddy CC, cusco f/r swaybars, gutted midpipe, oil cooler, prodrive exhaust & f/r replica sti strut tower bar, gunmetal rota tarmac, goodridge ss lines, p'n'p exhaust manifold

deny the fly-by

Originally posted by Surtr
    Oops, those aren't reverse indiglos! Anyway, anyone have any advice about reverses?
    I have had regular indiglos that i bought off Ebay for 2 years now without any problems, no wrinkling or noises at all. I want to try the reverse ones cause the regular ones are a bit too bright.
    Mykl M.
    Graphic Designer
    Currently driving a Modified '91 Mr2 Turbo
    234rwhp/ 13.54 1/4 mile
    Big Mod list see my profile
    Looking for a new ride!

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey Ryland:

I like the looks of the red in your pics. Are the lights bright with the condoms on? I'd love to do this, but there's so many people here complaining about dim lights...
    --Ray
    Grandfather of the Bugeye Mafia
    2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
    2002 Subaru WRX Bugeyebrid Wagon

Originally posted by RayfieldsWRX
    Hey Ryland:

I like the looks of the red in your pics. Are the lights bright with the condoms on? I'd love to do this, but there's so many people here complaining about dim lights...
    The speedo/tach area is a bit dim unless its pretty dark outside, but the HVAC lights are bright as hell. I plan on redo'ing my speedo/tach area w/ red LED's.
    2004 Black WRX Sedan

Mods = yes

Theres a great thread here for this mod. These bulbs work AWESOME.
    Catalytic converters are for hippies.

I think im gonna do this mod in yellow... as yellow LED's are producing decent output compared to red and purple. It may look 80's but hell, alot of cool things came out of the 80's.
    03 MBP WRX Sedan
    STi RA gearset October 4th,STi Trans Mount
    Cobb AccessECU STG II 16.4psi. Bosal DP, Catless OEM UP, 205/55 ZR16 Futura Ultra Z's.

OK, here's the lowdown on the last few chapters in my saga. I did the Stereo in blue Radio Shack LED's as per http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...?threadid=997. Looks awesome.

Now for the instrument cluster:

Tried the LedTronics LED's; they were crap. Far, far too dim and a waste of 50 bucks.

Tried the #74 LED's and incadescent bulbs from autolumination http://autolumination.com/74.htm. The incadescents were even worse than the LedTronics LED's; couldn't see them at all. The LED's were pretty good, but still too dim and too focused.

Went looking for the brightest LED's I could find, found some 5500 mcd bulbs from here: http://www.superbrightleds.com/leds.htm. I had to mod them by soldering on 330 ohm resistor to each and had to trim off the plastic flange at the base of each led with a pair of diagonal (cutting) pliers. See the following pic to see how I rigged them to pop into the lamp holders. This worked by far the best; the instrument cluster showed up nice and even blue, but a bit dim. Problem was the speedometer and tach needles were really dim.

So, today I put my stock bulbs back in the instrument cluster and tried a set of $15 reverse indiglos I got off ebay from Fosuko (or something like that). This looks by far the best. Damn, I really wanted to get the LED's to work well in the instrument cluster. Oh well, it is what it is.

Anyway, only part left is to figure out how to get the odometer backlit evenly by a blue LED. Using the LEDTronics bulb right now, too bright in the middle. Gonna try every single one of the brands of LED I bought (LEDTronics, SuperBrightLEDs, Radio Shack and autolumination) painting the ends of each with silver paint to try to get rid of the bright spot in the center. Will let you know what I find... Oh yeah, also gonna try to fit 2 LED's in each HVAC socket to try to get a bit more even lighting there. Also still gotta do my fog and cruise lights.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails led.jpg  

OK, so on the odometer light, what seems to work best is one of the #74 LED's from http://autolumination.com/74.htm. Sand it down good so that it is opaque, and paint the end silver with model paint. Get a very slight dim spot in the center, but you have to look for it.

Now can somebody tell my why in the heck my reverse indiglos sometimes don't turn on with the headlights? Once they are on, they stay on until I turn them off, but sometimes when I turn on the headlights they just don't come on and I have to turn the headlights off and back on. Probably something wrong with the power inverter is what I'm thinking.

Hey MidnightFlat - to do this in yellow, you're gonna need some really bright LEDs -- there's green film on the back of the instrument cluster, so I'm guessing that you might get a greenish tint to your dash. Looks like superbrightleds.com has a 10000mcd yellow LED, but it's really focused. Might work ok if you sand it. Good luck!

damn, this is soo confusing. i bought some of the blue condoms, put them in my radio and it look nothing like i wanted. bad thing is i took off the green condoms and threw them out. so not i have white light on my radio, green lights on my tach. this sucks.

what do i need to do to make all the controls in my car bright blue or bright red. i would like to go red, but im afraid that when i get my guages i wont be able to find ones that have red light.

i want my tach to look like my avatar
    <
    <
    <

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast