Air Conditioning is Noisy...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Air Conditioning is Noisy... within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So when I turn on my AC my normal engine vibration turns into a boxer rattle...( I think that is ...

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Air Conditioning is Noisy...

So when I turn on my AC my normal engine vibration turns into a boxer rattle...( I think that is the air compressor coming online)...If anything, previous cars that I have owned have never had such a dramatic noise when the AC was turned on.

Also... this noise will go on for about 5-15 seconds and stop and then start again coinciding with the pattern of cold/luke warm air and then when it starts up again it blows very cold air... It seems like the AC is starting and stopping intermittently when it should be on constantly??

Does anybody have any experience with this? IS this NORMAL? If not I will make the call to the dealership...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bump
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

The AC noise coinciding with lukewarm/cold air is your AC compressor cycling on and off. It doesn't run constantly. As far as the noise itself, I'd check the belt tension first, then move on to the moving parts of the AC system. Mine doesn't make any rattling noise, so I'm guessing you might have something loose in there.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

It seems more like the "rattle" is only the air compressor turning on...i.e. nothing is loose. You are saying that is okay for it be noticeably loud both inside/outside the car? Like i said my previous experience with cars (mainly Toyotas) mainly points to virutally no noise from the ac compressor. Is your cycling that rapid???
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I Support ClubWRX
    Mine has made a shudder sound when I push the button and it engages ever since the car was new. If this is what you're hearig then either it's normal, we both have it, or both.

You might just ask Irvine Subaru or someone the next time you're in for something I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Djrez is right it most probably is your a.c. belt tension...mine did the same thing till I tightened the belt.
    2007 urban gray STI. KTR Ecutek Re-Flash

Out of curiosity...where is the ac belt located and how would I go about tightening it? Easy job? or should I just tell the dealership to do it and not waste my time...?
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I Support ClubWRX
    The AC belt is located in front of the motor just ahead of the large black front cover. One belt goes to the AC compressor, the other to the alternator. Both belts are kept tense by a screwing tensioner.

I only mention this because you asked where the belt is -- keep the motor OFF when messing around in there.

In general, if you measure the width of the belt, then try to press on the belt at the point farthest from either pulley supporting the belt (e.g., the midpoint between the compressor pulley and the other pulley), and the belt deflects only roughly the same distance as it is wide, your belt tension is at least approximately correct.

Your easiest bet is to have the dealer look; it's simple if it's the belt. Ask them to show you what they did and you'll see what I mean.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

thanks...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I Support ClubWRX
    Cheers. Have a look at this link for a diagramme of what I'm trying to describe, by the way:

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showth...700#post305700

I get a red x on the pic...but thanks anyways.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

I have some problems with my A/C. I purchased my car in Californis where it is always around 70. I moved to St. louis where the humidity is unbearable. In any event here is what happened.

I started hearing a hissing sound coming from under my glove box whenever I turned on the A/C. I noticed that after a few weeks, the A/C basically stopped working.

I have the car into the dealer, literally, for 6 weeks while they tried to solve the problem. Luckily, I was only charged a few hundred bucks as the dealer ate the cost on all parts.

Basically i had the compressor, evaporator, tubes and a list of o-rings replaced.

okay, so now, the A/C 'kinda' works as it goes in and out. First its cold, then less cold (noticable difference) if I turn off the air and then turn it back on its fine.

I want it to blow frigid all the time. Any ideas?

The compressor cycling is a normal attribute of the Subaru WRX bizarro a/c. I took mine into the dealership and they informed me that the cycling is normal but if it gets too loud you may have a loose belt.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

cycling makes sense, but the
    "Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sst" i would get when turning the A/C on seems incorrent.

take the car into your local dealer and tell them that the ac is still excessively noisy. My car used to make that same noise and it seems to have gone away after they worked on it...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast