Sirius and Tint?

This is a discussion on Sirius and Tint? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have currently and Kenwood receiver with the Sirius hookup and I have the antenna on my back dash where ...

Question Sirius and Tint?

I have currently and Kenwood receiver with the Sirius hookup and I have the antenna on my back dash where the third brake light was. I am going to get tint installed and I want the good stuff that has a metal content for better heat rejection. My question is has anyone else had tint like that mess with the reception of the antenna? I don't think it will, sometimes I get reception through my garage door but just wondering.
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

first off, i have had both kinds of tints, and haven't found the metal-containing tints to be better at heat rejection. just my $.02.

now then, as for the satellite thing, i've had XM in .... let's see... 5 cars now, with different tints, different locations (including in the trunk, and inside the cabin), and tint has never caused me issues. i had the XM just like you do on my WRX (disassembled the 3rd light and all) and it worked flawlessly under heavy tint. so no, i don't think you'll have too many problems - the 'clear sky' and 'mount to metal surface' claims that XM and sirius make are just to avoid any potential signal problems. in real world application (for the most part), they're moot.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Thanks Lightning just the kinda confirmation I was looking for!
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels