Differences in Sub Enclosures
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Differences in Sub Enclosures within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I want to get a sub box, and was wondering what the difference is between an open box and an ...

Differences in Sub Enclosures

I want to get a sub box, and was wondering what the difference is between an open box and an enclosed box (the one with the plexi-glass thingie on it). I'm looking to get a deep base sound...so which one would you good folks recommend?
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

sealed box will give u a cleaner sound but not as loud. Ported will give u louder sound but not as clean.

Bandpass box (with plexi glass thingie) will give you the best of both worlds...at a much more expensive rate
    -Ryan |Dub-Yuh Our Ex Ess Tee Eye| My Car

Thanks for the replies guys
    Fahd

Eh....that's not quite right....

Ported and bandpass boxes are designed to resonate at certain frequencies. A ported box will hit really hard at that one frequency, but have rather lackluster performance at any other frequency. A bandpass box will give you good performance at two frequencies, but still won't have the even frequency response of a sealed box. The real question is, how much do you care about sound quality vs. straight "boom." If all you want is to hear the intricacies of a Jay-Z bassline, bandpass is the way to go. If a Flea bassline is more your style, you should get a sealed box and spend the difference on a better sub and amp. Here's a quick illustrated guide (vertical axis=volume, horizontal=frequency):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails speakers.bmp  
    Last edited by djrez4; 07-21-2003 at 05:48 PM.
    Deliberating enclaves of like-minded people are often a breeding ground for extreme movements - Cass Sunstein

If you are pressed for space add some foam in the box. This will make your speakers respond as if they were in a larger box.
    04 JBP
    Stock - they are watching.

Wow...that's a lot of great info. Thanks a bunch I listen mostly to hip hop/rap and trance/house/dance music. I sometimes thrrw in some Nine Inch Nails for old times sake. I like the idea of having a sealed box so that I'll be able to hear every bit of base as I do sometimes listen to other music genres. I had a sealed box in my 3000 GT with a 10" J L Audio woofer. I loved the sound.

This brings me to my next question: which brand of sub do you guys recommend. Again, the music I most frequently listen to are the ones listed above.
    Fahd

I recommend JL audio. I have experience with Rockford, Kicker and JL. To me the fosgate created a tight mid-bass but couldn't go that low (unless you get 18"s but I had 4-12" in a iso-bandpass enclosure). The kickers made some nice low bass but not allot of tight mid-bass. (I had 4-15" in sealed enclosure). I switched to JL and never tried another sub since. First of all they hardly need any air space (less than 1 cubic foot average). Second they create a tight mid and can easily drop the low notes. (I had 8-15" in a sealed enclosure). I have done some single JL 12's in a couple of civics and the owners have been very happy. You should however demo some different speakers and pick what sounds good to you because we all hear things differently.

04 JBP

Originally posted by XtmX
    I recommend JL audio. I have experience with Rockford, Kicker and JL. To me the fosgate created a tight mid-bass but couldn't go that low (unless you get 18"s but I had 4-12" in a iso-bandpass enclosure). The kickers made some nice low bass but not allot of tight mid-bass. (I had 4-15" in sealed enclosure). I switched to JL and never tried another sub since. First of all they hardly need any air space (less than 1 cubic foot average). Second they create a tight mid and can easily drop the low notes. (I had 8-15" in a sealed enclosure). I have done some single JL 12's in a couple of civics and the owners have been very happy. You should however demo some different speakers and pick what sounds good to you because we all hear things differently.

Thanks for all the info Man, you've had a cluster of subs at a time. I was thinking of only getting one 10". I think that'll be plenty for my maturing ears
    Fahd

I only have the stock sub in my wrx. I have been going through withdrawal but I refuse to weigh down this car.
    04 JBP

I only have the stock sub in my wrx. I have been going through withdrawal but I refuse to weigh down this car.
    How do you like the stock sub? I was thinking about getting something like that. You know, like and 8" sub and place it underneath the passenger seat.
    Fahd

I have it set from +1 to +3 and to me it helps. It doesn't drawl any attention to itself but it fills in the mids ok for an 8'. If you turn up the bass to much it sounds like crap. I think a 10' in the trunk would have more punch.
    04 JBP

I have it set from +1 to +3 and to me it helps. It doesn't drawl any attention to itself but it fills in the mids ok for an 8'. If you turn up the bass to much it sounds like crap. I think a 10' in the trunk would have more punch.
    Great...thanks for all your help
    Fahd

Let us know what you go with Fahd. Car audio rawks.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I Support ClubWRX
    WRXin', you really need to listen to subs to know what you like. I'm gonna have to agree with XtmX about JL subs... I just swapped out 2 jl 12w0's for 1 jl 10w6v2. I have heard kickers, polk/momo's and a whole bunch of others and I really think that JL's have the best dynamic range of any sub around. I would definitely suggest that you take a listen to those, as I'm sure someone in your area has some jl's in their car.

I'm running the w6 off a jl 500/1 amp and am currently in the process of building a custom fiberglass enclosure for the corner of the trunk. Speakers of any size, as with just about every other part of your car, are a very personal thing and what some like, others will not. Good luck...

BTW - Should I paint my sideskirts?
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.