Differences in Sub Enclosures - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Differences in Sub Enclosures within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally posted by MidKnight BTW - Should I paint my sideskirts? Nah Thanks for your input MidKnight I've had a ...

Originally posted by MidKnight
    BTW - Should I paint my sideskirts?
    Nah

Thanks for your input MidKnight I've had a JL Audio sub in my past car. I was VERY pleased with the sound. I'll probably go with the same thinng again. I only want one 10" and I'll hook it up to my 240x1 Kenwood amp. It's the amp that I still have from my last car. I'd love to see your custom fiberglass box when you finish it
    Last edited by WRXin'; 07-24-2003 at 03:12 PM.
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Check out Image Dynamics I have two 12" idq subs and I love them, I also switched to these from two 12" jl w3s. Give them about 500-700 watts and they rock!!! they are clean and powerfull.

Later
    tim

Image Dynamics.. omg. One of my friends has 3 10" ID subs in a sealed box and they sound amazing. They are a lot lighter than my Rockford Fosgate 10" subs. In my next car, I might switch over.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

th3franz where are you from in wisconsin?

when I get my rex I plan on 2 of the newest 10" idqs in a sealed box with a mtx 81000d amp on them, should be crazy!
    but I have to get the car first.

Later
    tim

I agree with the the guy that says you need to listen to make your decision.

When you buy your speaker it will have a response curve (probably). A ported box will peak at the lowest frequency a bandpass will have the highest dB level, but only at a certain frequency and a sealed will have the flattest, most consistent response. With that info you can decide which enclosure suits you best.

I have two sealed 12's...the bigger cones sound so much better to me.

You also have to remember how crucial it is to get an amp that can drive the subs you buy. Its more common to have bad sound, or damage a sub, from trying to get too much sound out of a lower wattage amp, than having to much wattage.

Joe
    "Damn.... this car is wicked fast..." ~ My roomate, owner of a supercharged/intercooled 97 Trans AM
    Mods |

In my opinion, if you want pretty good sound quality with good loudness, go ported. Sealed boxes are good, but if you want them to get loud, you'll need to send the subs a lot of power. Also, ported boxes help keep your sub-woofers' voice coils cool since they move air in and out of the enclosure. This is an important concern if you have a low impedance and the subs are drawing a lot of power. Also, the loudness doesn't vary as badly with ported boxes as some people make it seem in this thread, in my opinion. Yes, near the tuning frequency it will get really loud, but a lot of it depends on the box itself and the individual tuning freq.

SQ-REX, I live near Appleton, WI and go to college in Madison. I have a 500W system in my car (not a WRX). Yeah, those IDQ's are awesome. If I get a different car next year I might get some IDQ's. Give them a lot of power (with that MTX) in a sealed box and they wail while sounding awesome.
    Last edited by Th3Franz; 08-14-2003 at 01:16 AM.
    - F r a n z

I Support ClubWRX
    Franz, I wouldn't put down a ported enclosure. They are good if you are looking for volume. However, ported enclosures really take away from the musicality of a sub, which to me is more important than how loud it is.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

Personally i think the sealed box sounds the best. Youll just have to go around and hear them all.
    Future Wrx Owner
    89 Bronco II (R.I.P.)
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille

after I get my rex I think I might try a infinite baffle config using a 12" imagedynamics ID-max
    the sub is hugh at 32lbs and this way I won't be adding the weight of a full encloser, I would
    like to keep the weight down to between 100-150lbs tops with everything installed.
    the ID-Max subs are awesome to but need a lot of power.

Yeah the ID-MAX subs are sweet.. The IDQ's are pretty good too if you give a couple of them a good amount of power.

MidKnight, yeah I suppose most of the debate between ported or sealed is personal preference. I personally like having that extra lower octave with a ported box, since I listen to all kinds of genres of music. Once I get more money, I'll probably go with 3 subs in a sealed box with a monster amp, but getting a WRX is my first priority when it comes to spending.
    Oh, and JL's are nice subs, especially w7's if you have the cash.
    - F r a n z

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.