Finished hide-a-way LCD mounting - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Finished hide-a-way LCD mounting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; bump?!?! Cranium, you there??...

bump?!?!

Cranium, you there??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sorry, I was in cali for the week. It is a 5.6" LCD, I wanted to be sure it fit snugly.
    Calling George Bush shallow is like calling a dwarf short.

Bush : "I ask you to pray for this country."
    Jon Stewart : "We are way ahead of you, Mr. President."

That looks great.
    PM me if you're in the need for high speed affordable video hosting.

bambams247
    Originally posted by cranium
    Open
    THAT is a PHATTY ASS screen. I want it, i want it to have my babies! lol. Can you write up a tutorial, with some pics would be sweet, I want to do this install. It didnt look like it was too hard by your last explenation. Was it hard or not? Do you think I can do it and still ahve a gauge pod in there as well?? Just wondering if that could be done.

And as a side question, not related, if you get the gauge pod from the factory, where do they put the clock????

It was a little difficult, mostly cause you have to be able to wing it and get it to look decent.

The write up is basically pop out the clock, dremmel a straight line, use a buffing pad to make the cut smooth, sand down the front clips so they arent so tought to pull in and out, super-glue or bolt (if you don't care about seeing the ehads of the bold) a hinge in-between your two pieces of the clok, install velcro on the back of your LCD, tap wires, and your done. You definitley have to be willing to take some risk, cause there is a lot that can go worng (hinge placement, crooked cut, etc.).

There is a replacement for the clock that has a pop up LCD (that's where I got the idea from), but I think you can only buy it in Japan. I just searched, but I couldn't find the old post...

bambams247
    Originally posted by cranium
    It was a little difficult, mostly cause you have to be able to wing it and get it to look decent.

The write up is basically pop out the clock, dremmel a straight line, use a buffing pad to make the cut smooth, sand down the front clips so they arent so tought to pull in and out, super-glue or bolt (if you don't care about seeing the ehads of the bold) a hinge in-between your two pieces of the clok, install velcro on the back of your LCD, tap wires, and your done. You definitley have to be willing to take some risk, cause there is a lot that can go worng (hinge placement, crooked cut, etc.).

There is a replacement for the clock that has a pop up LCD (that's where I got the idea from), but I think you can only buy it in Japan. I just searched, but I couldn't find the old post...
    How does the screen stay up once you put it up, did you mount something there??? I dont know how u get it tos tay up, wont the weight pull it down?

Read the post, he said he bought a hinge...

Thumbs up

cranium,

You should really consider selling kits and instructions or buying the LCDs and selling that unit complete.

That is some of the most creative interior work that I have ever seen. WELL DONE!

-Jim

bambams247
    Originally posted by Shard
    Read the post, he said he bought a hinge...
    A hinge lets the screen uinit rotate, it doesnt hold the weight up.

Originally posted by bambams247
    How does the screen stay up once you put it up, did you mount something there??? I dont know how u get it tos tay up, wont the weight pull it down?
    Conveniently, the back of the clock is long enough to push down ot the AC ducts at just the right spot. The plan was to add arms to hold it up, but I didn't need them.
    You should really consider selling kits and instructions or buying the LCDs and selling that unit complete. That is some of the most creative interior work that I have ever seen. WELL DONE!
    Thank you. I plan on doing another revision of it first. I am gonna post in a little bit about wanting a new clock piece so I can do my handy work again. I got some new ideas...

That is awesome work, i just looked at this after getting back from the store with hinges thinking about the same JDM dash mounted pop up display gps thingy u probably saw.

Nice setup for a stealth look Nice work !
    Silver -02 Impreza WRX

I was just looking around on www.subaru.co.jp and found the pix of thier stock lcd holder that goes in the radio location.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dvdnavigation.jpg  

another
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dvdnavigation2.gif  

a
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails biggerdvdnavigation.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast