SkyFi mounting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on SkyFi mounting within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I saw about 4 months ago some people talking about XM radio. I've had one for a while, and I'm ...

SkyFi mounting

I saw about 4 months ago some people talking about XM radio. I've had one for a while, and I'm having a hell of a time getting to stay on the tiny dash of my rex. I started with the swivel mount (inlcued with the car kit) and the summer heat made the "super strong 3M adhesive" (what a crock of sh*t) fall right off the dash.

This was after carefully determining the exact spot where the airbag wouldn't send the XM into my wife's intestines in case of an accident and still allow me to open the glove box.

Then I got a pedestal mount at Best Buy - allowing me to attach it to the side of the center console - and that fell off too after about 2 weeks.

Then I tried Velcro today and that lasted through my first hard right turn.

Does anyone else have a Delphi, and if so, similar problems and maybe a potential solution? I love the XM, but damn, this is getting irritating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That was the only down fall for me purchasing the Delphi Unit. Instead, I went with the Pioneer Unit.

Ive got one for sale...who wants it?
    I created my avatar.

or, and i know this is a crazy idea, get a head unit that supports XM like i have, then you don't have to worry about using RF modulation and losing sound quality or where to mount it or anything
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

Originally posted by Lightning
    or, and i know this is a crazy idea, get a head unit that supports XM like i have, then you don't have to worry about using RF modulation and losing sound quality or where to mount it or anything
    I hear ya, but the thing is, I really do move it around from my home stereo to my work (where I have the boom box) to the car. So it's not practical to spend all that cash on an HU when all I really need is some sort of mounting solution that actually works.

I also got the skyfi so I can use it in my house. all I did was open the ash tray and slide the mounting bracket into the ash tray seems to be holdling it just fine. I ran all the wires through the ash tray too. best part is in 10 second its completely gone. here is a picture its really bad the lens of my camera was fogging up. can't wait to move away from this humidity!

not to high jack the tread but how do you take the back seats out?
    I just need to run the antena wire under the carpet to the back.

edit: The speed control for the fan is a little blocked but its not an issue for me.
    Last edited by Boostmonkey; 07-21-2003 at 11:08 AM.

forgot pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails skyfi.jpg  

thanks for the pic. I can't really tell from the angle, but can you still access all of the climate controls without any difficulty?

the fan speed is blocked a little. Its not to bad though.

Originally posted by Boostmonkey

how do you take the back seats out?
    I just need to run the antena wire under the carpet to the back.

edit: The speed control for the fan is a little blocked but its not an issue for me.
    Thanks for the pic. I ran the antenna wire under the carpet next to the rear door. There's just enough space, and it hasn't come out yet, despite having people in the back pretty often.

I have a wagon, so it's unavoidable to flash a little cord in the cargo area, but whatever. Small price to pay for liquid metal.

Anyway, if I have time and you want to see what I'm talking about, I can take a pic this afternoon or something when I get home from work.

Originally posted by Lightning
    The car kit for the SkiFi comes with a tape adapter. Since WRXs have 6 disk CD and tape players stock there is no need for a modulator.

BTW, my XM radio is mounted between the ashtray as well, works perfect.
    2002 WRX Sedan-Silver
    Turbo XS UTEC Stage IV (VF34)+TMIC, STI RA gears, Exedy clutch/flywheel

Originally posted by Boostmonkey
    I also got the skyfi so I can use it in my house. all I did was open the ash tray and slide the mounting bracket into the ash tray seems to be holdling it just fine. .
    Sorry to bug you again, but I'm going to do this tonight. If it doesn't work, you might have to take another picture.

well I took the back seats out. didn't see the bolts last night. I can't belive how easy it was to run the wire from the back to the front of the car. I took a peice of velcro stuck it to the antenna and stuck it at the back of the rearwindow seems to be working just fine. if you need any more pics just let me know maybe my camera won't fog up this time

I would love to see how its sitting in the ashtray, if you can get a pic behind the radio itself. Only if you have a chance. Thanks again. That's a sweet as@ car you have, by the way.

Thanks.
    When I get home from work this afternoon I'll take some pics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast