Full of Hot Air
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Full of Hot Air within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Now that the heat of summer is upon me, I've noticed that the vents blow hot air all the time ...

Full of Hot Air

Now that the heat of summer is upon me, I've noticed that the vents blow hot air all the time (unless I'm running the A/C, of course). It's noticeably hotter than the outside air temp. Seems like heat soak from the engine compartment, because it's not bad when I pull out of the garage in the morning, but it gets hotter as I drive. Once the sun heats up the car, all I get is hot air. I hate running the A/C, but sometimes I wuss out and use it anyway.

Has anyone had any luck fabricating a heat shield or insulating the intake plenum for the cabin vents? Maybe a sheet of asbestos or some header wrap in strategic places will help me out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You have air coming out because you do not have it closed. Slide the lever over that is under the fan/temp dials, that will stop the air from coming in. One is for outside air and the other is recirculate.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

I've got it set to outside air, are you saying it should be on recirc? I don't understand why you'd use recirc, as you'd just be pushing warm cabin air around.

But then you will not have hot air pumping in from the outside. Try it, see if it makes a difference.

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

Re-Addicted to WRX tacomaboy138's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Open a window...
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    07 MINI Cooper S... SOLD!
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

Jeremy Clarkson has my dream job.

i dont understand- if the blower motor is off, no air should be circulating especially on recirc.

*tip- the coldest air is always on recirc.
    My Car is 100% STOCK!
    Pics

Originally posted by platano
    At 14???
    shoot , I'd hit it at current age, on roof of the car, with cousin driving , neighbor and town priest in the back seat, and that kid from "N.Korea" riding shotgun.

I, too, notice this warm/hot air in the cabin. It's much hotter than ambient. I haven't figured out where it's coming from, but it's not coming from the vents. I even feel it with the AC on. I am thinking that somehow the under the hood air is leaking into the cabin somewhere. It's actually worse with the windows down. I would love to hear more about this.
    -JVS
    `03 WRX stock
    666 is just a number... sheesh!

There's a lot to be said for keeping your mouth shut.

Originally posted by wrx666
    I, too, notice this warm/hot air in the cabin. It's much hotter than ambient. I haven't figured out where it's coming from, but it's not coming from the vents. I even feel it with the AC on. I am thinking that somehow the under the hood air is leaking into the cabin somewhere. It's actually worse with the windows down. I would love to hear more about this.
    I always thought that the short burst of hot air that you get (even with the A/C on) is from the heated air between the dash and the windshield. I assumed that this area does not get very much circulation from the a/c vents unless you put on the windshield vent...try that and see if it works. At any rate...if the sun is hot enough outside and it is bearing down on your dash I don't think that the a/c will be able to replace all of the air that is being heated... my .02.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

A car is not air tight, on outside if you are moving air will be forced through, even on recirc you have to have some fresh air or we would die.

To add to my previous post...I noted that the heated air seemed to come out of a nowhere (or everywhere)...after I got my windows tinted it seems to come more from just the windshield area.

I agree with Trypsin that the car is not air tight, however I tend to feel them more when the car is stopped, which would suggest that outside air flow is not a contributing factor.
    2011 SWP WRX 4D
    03 WRX Wagon... SOLD!
    98 Toyota Tacoma...SOLD!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.