Removing adhesive from the dashboard
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Removing adhesive from the dashboard within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I foolishly used double sided adhesive tape to attach the turbo timer control panel to the dashboard specifically the gray ...

Removing adhesive from the dashboard

I foolishly used double sided adhesive tape to attach the turbo timer control panel to the dashboard specifically the gray part next to the cup holder above the radio. Everything was working out great until summer came. Now the adhesive won't hold the timer onto the dash when the car gets too hot. So I am left with a sticky goo on the dash. Is there any safe way to remove this without damaging the plastic underneath. I am afraid to try anything fearing that the plastic will become damaged.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm having the exact same problem with my XM Radio mount. It's hotter than hell and the entire mount is falling off. There's a product called "Goof Off" http://www.goof-off.com/goofoff/PRODUCTS/goormvr.html
    that I use on glass but never on any plastic-type surface. I'm probably going to have to try this week because my radio is about to fall on the floor. I'll let you know how it works.

3M adhesive and tar remover. Works great, and the plastic will be fine. It will take off any interior dressing you have on there, so youll have to reapply that.
    '12 WRB Sedan

By "interior dressing" do you mean paint?

Don't use the Goof Off stuff it will melt plastics. I did some work with my bro-inlaw on ATMs and we were removing the adhesive decals to replace them and that goof worked great but it also took the plastic down some so there was no texture left just smooth. I would hate to have you have a smooth part or worst on your dash. Try using some of that citrus smelling stuff I have had luck with that doesn't work as fast or easy but gets it off none the less.
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

Originally posted by trmc
    By "interior dressing" do you mean paint?
    Nope, Armour-all, Vinyolex, etc.
    '12 WRB Sedan

I use denatured alcohol for cleaning plastics and other things. I used it to removed the sticky junk when I debadged the trunk too. Just keep it away from finished wood.. it is also shellac thinner and will eat most many finished wood surfaces. BUt it's good for plastics, and glass and will not harm auto finishes.

Oh yeah.. DON'T DRINK IT!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.