JL Subs
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on JL Subs within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have 2 JL 12w0's in a JL Powerwedge box and they're too boomy for me (not enough SQ, too ...

I Support ClubWRX

JL Subs

I have 2 JL 12w0's in a JL Powerwedge box and they're too boomy for me (not enough SQ, too much SPL). I was wondering if anyone has experience with jl w3's or w6's and can comment on the SQ of these subs. The w0's are LOUD, but they just aren't as musical as I like. Can someone suggest another JL sub that would fit my needs better (I get a good deal on JL's, that's why I'm limiting to that).

PS I'm using a JL 500/1 amp.

-Steve
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The JL W3's and W6's are great subs, however I suggest you try and tweek your current setup before investing in new subs.

Here is what I recommend:

- lower the gain on your amp
    - lower the low pass x-over on you amp to about 50-60 hz
    - turn off the 'loudness' on you HU and set the 'bass' to 0
    - turn off any bass boost on the amp.
    THE INTERNET: Where men are men, women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

bambams247
    Get a JL W7 Limited Edition 13 Inch (hehe)

I Support ClubWRX
    yea, no thanks on the w7.... way too much sub for me....
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno
    "Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound." - Jeremy Clarkson

id lose the 12w0's and get a couple 10w3's. that 500/1 would push them great

What kind of enclosure are they in? Is it a ported or sealed enclosure? Try putting them in a custom-made sealed box to spec. and see how they sound. The enclosure makes a big difference.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

I Support ClubWRX
    The subs are currently in a JL box desogned to the spec of the subs. I don't think I'm gonna make an enclosure that will make them sound better.

I went today to the audio shop and they're gonna give me a 10w6v2 to see if that fits my needs better. I should be picking that up this weekend. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
    '03 WRX
    '01 2.5RS
    MODS | PICS | Dyno

Good luck with that. If that isn't real impressive, see if they'll let you try a different enclosure that they have for comparison.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.