Ipod with Stock Stereo?

This is a discussion on Ipod with Stock Stereo? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I searched the site before posting this, but didn't find what I was looking for, so here goes... Anyone out ...

Question Ipod with Stock Stereo?

I searched the site before posting this, but didn't find what I was looking for, so here goes...

Anyone out there find a good way to hook up their iPod (or other MP3 player) to their stock stereo? The 6 disc changer is cool and all, but I've got almost 20 gigs of MP3's on my iPod and will never touch the cd player. Ever.

Problem is, the iPod sounds like @ss when played through the cassette adapter. I've used it with a cassette adapter in other cars, but never has it sounded so crapalicious before. The "tape hiss" sound is out of control. Dolby noise reduction makes it sound like I've got pillows over the speakers.

CompUSA has a gadget that will transmit your iPod directly over your FM tuner. Anyone ever use such a device? Does it sound better or worse than the tape? Any other tricks for getting a clean auxilary signal?

Cheers!
    '04 Java Black Impreza WRX Wagon
    Minor mods, nothing spectacular (yet!)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

hmmm

this is interesting. i run my diamond rio through my tape player, and i just live w/ the hiss....

but i hate it.

i'll run some searches, but could the quality be any better transmitted through FM? i have to imagine a stereo shop would be able to splice the player into the tape option, but you'd probably disable the tape altogether. (not that i would care, but you might) probably wouldn't even be that much $$. just some wire taps.

dR

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by dark_rex
    i have to imagine a stereo shop would be able to splice the player into the tape option, but you'd probably disable the tape altogether.
    Now that's a very interesting idea... <scratches beard in deep thought> I'll have to pop by a good car audio place on the weekend and see what they think. Probably wouldn't be that hard to do, and like you said, who needs the tape player anyway?

If your search turns up any other nifty ideas, let me know, and thanks for the tip!

-MacGomez-

i'm going to do the same thing!

dR

In my wifes minvan the DVD player hooks to the stereo through an inline device to the antenna. It then broadcasts on a lower band frequency. I havent noticed and hiss in quiet parts of movies. I think they were about 30 bucks and have to be installed behind the stereo.

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

Make sure not to mount your Ipod under the cupholder. Unless it's waterproof.

I've had mixed results with an FM modulator. I bring it and my MP3 player with me almost everywhere, some cars do OK but some just sound terrible. Recently, I've had good luck in my WRX, it sounded terrible in a Ford Escape, and it was so-so in a Lincoln Towncar.

I use this.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

Originally posted by dielectric
    I've had mixed results with an FM modulator. I bring it and my MP3 player with me almost everywhere, some cars do OK but some just sound terrible. Recently, I've had good luck in my WRX, it sounded terrible in a Ford Escape, and it was so-so in a Lincoln Towncar.

I use this.
    so you've had good luck in the WRX, what frequency do you tun the radio to? just curious...

dR

Originally posted by OotabaJinga
    Make sure not to mount your Ipod under the cupholder. Unless it's waterproof.
    Actually, I keep my iPod in the cupholder! Fits really nicely if you stick it in there tilted 45 degrees so the screen faces you. And its mounted high enough on the dash that you don't need to look down to read it.

Now if we could only solve this aux input problem!

BTW, here's the gadget that CompUSA sells:
    http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...519&pfp=SEARCH

I might go pick one up after work and try it, but I'm still going to investigate altering the stock cd player to get an aux in.

-MacGomez-

Originally posted by dark_rex
    so you've had good luck in the WRX, what frequency do you tun the radio to? just curious...

dR
    I've been using 88.1FM, I think. There are like four different frequencies you can use, it all depends on where you are and what stations are strong in that area. Sometimes I have to switch when I travel, but it's not a big deal.
    ribonucleic acid freakout

I have an iRoc thing too, I couldnt get it to work worth a crap in the WRX. The type in my wifes van is this one.

http://www.discountmobilevideo.com/items/item342.htm

Works geat, no hissing or poping.

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.