OEM Subwoofer - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on OEM Subwoofer within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Since the subs are self-powered you should be able to tap into the signal wires for the one under the ...

Post You "should" be able to do it

Since the subs are self-powered you should be able to tap into the signal wires for the one under the passenger seat. The only consideration is the resistance for each sub, which will be halved, since you will be putting the second sub in parallel with the first, which means you will need to know the original resistance (in ohms) for each sub and figured your signal strength as double (coming from the deck) for each sub. This is not a problem as long as you don't overdrive the head unit (i.e. crank the volume). I'm not sure how forgiving the stock head unit is but you will want to crank your volume slowly until you know what the tolerance of the system will be. Keep us posted.

- e

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well, I wound up having Audio Express (in San Antonio, on San Pedro road) install the pair of OEM subs, the Alpine head unit (9807)and component speakers in front and rear doors (SPX-137A Alpine X-series). The only custom aspect of the system was the tweeter install in the rear doors...they fit nicely.

The cross-overs for the front component sets fit under the seats WITH the OEM sub units. The rear cross-overs fit under the rear seats.

The guys at Audio Express were kind enough to loan me some tools so I could install the Subaru fog lights while they were doing the sound system. (photo below).

I like the way it turned out. The OEM sub is not great, but it is enough base for me. The main thing is the Alpine speakers are wonderful. I highly recommend component set for the rear set as well....

http://www.geocities.com/jtyler-/STi/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn4101.jpg  
    STix and Stones...

Nice job - that OEM sub looks beautiful!!

-Max.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12