amp mounting location
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on amp mounting location within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Now that I've narrowed down what componets I'm getting (CDT HD-62s currently in the lead) and what amp I'm going ...

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

amp mounting location

Now that I've narrowed down what componets I'm getting (CDT HD-62s currently in the lead) and what amp I'm going to power them with (Avionixx 400.2 or a similar amp), where should I mount the amp? Trunk would be the obvious answer, but then the wireing is going to be long. I would like mount it to the underside of the driver's seat, but it's fairly often that I have drunk people riding in the back and I'm afraid someone might kick it and mess things up. There's always scuff marks and dirt all over the factory sub under the passanger seat from being kicked.

What to the audiophile's here suggest? I might be able to mount something behind the amp to block feet, but I haven't checked it out yet.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

bambams247
    Hey whatsup. I live car audio! LOL! Thats a tough one for the impreza. But if you ahve the time you can do a few things. SOme I have done, some my friends have done. Here are some options:

1) Under the back seats, cut out a hole for amp and hide it under htere. Put a heatshield around the amp and make sure it doesnt get too hot, mine doesnt.

2.) You can mount it under the passanger seat jsut cover it with capret I would say or build a small amp rack to hold it.

3.) Mount it in the front passangers foot well, against the front firewall. Build an amp rack and just put the carpet over it. My friend di this in his Mercury Cougar and it looks great, you can't see it unless you look and its nice.

4.) And of course you can jsut mount it in the trunk

5.) And one last idea is to build a costume amp rack that lifts the forn passangers floor an inch or two and mount it in there. Put the carpet over it and make it look like that is the height of the floor on that side.

Good luck and make sure to post some pictures when you are done!

I don't really want to put it where it will be covered up, I want as much air flow as possible so it won't get hot. I guess I'll check out my options on a custom job tomarrow.

i'd still recommend the trunk; running the wires isn't that hard at all - right down the sides, and the panels come up really easily. i ran information cables down the passenger side, and power cables down the driver's. one amp is mounted to the back of the rear pass seat, and the other to the back of the sub box, for reasons you'd understand if you saw the 'special install' in the trunk changer is in the back right corner of the trunk, vertically mounted. it's not nearly as hard as you might think. you never mentioned why long wires would be a problem for you - the only real reason is a potential (and i emphasize "potential" - it would be minimal) loss in sound quality, but in a car as loud as the WRX, that shouldn't make a bit of difference to you.
    s e t h
    "If you're going to live on the cutting edge, you'd better be prepared to bleed a little."
    Stink-Eye Mob #73, Hawkeye Alliance #667

yea, I was mainly concerned about a loss in SQ, plus the cost of wire..

Unless you have wires miles long, I don't think you have to worry about SQ as much. Just make sure you get a large enough (small gauge) wire to the speakers and make sure you have a large enough power wire to the amp for what it's rated. Trunk is still the best place in my opinion.
    - F r a n z
    Bucky with teh lime powah!

If I'm paying ~$400 for some speakers I'm definately not going to skimp on the wire gauge

Under my drivers seat I have an amp, cap, and power and ground blocks.
    Under the passenger seat I have an amp and an EQ.
    I have no overheating issues at all, but wiring all that under there was a PITA.
    I also have to say that I have very few passengers in the back seat. But the ones that have been back there have not mess anything up yet.But it will only take once to do the damage. And like you most of my passengers are ussually drunk when they get back there.
    Your signature sucks

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.