Momo seat install - need advice

This is a discussion on Momo seat install - need advice within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm going to be getting a momo seat in the near future, but it doesnt come with any brackets. My ...

Momo seat install - need advice

I'm going to be getting a momo seat in the near future, but it doesnt come with any brackets. My question is what do I need to fit it into the WRX? I keep seeing this "universal slider" for sale on websites, but not enough info about it. Is that all I need and use the WRX rails? Or do I need something else? Any advice on the matter would be great.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good Luck!

If you were to do a search on this subject as I did many nights in a row you would still not know any more than you do now!I gave up on trying to find a useful how to post on seat instalation that answers all the questions we have i.e. mounting hardware needed , fabrication if any , side impact sensors etc.
    I know these seats are out there on members' cars , maybe some one could take the time and do a once over for us all!
    Even the manufacturer sights are vague if best.
    Hope you get an answer.
    You wouldn't be getting an Acropolis , would you? That would make me quite jealous!
    Cobra Seats seems to be the only manufacturer offering a model specific mounting system. I know there is some "resistor" work to do to not get any lights going off in your face about the side impacts but damned if I've seen one picture or a how too on it!
    Maybe if we have to ask we shouldn't be doing it!That's what it feels like to me.

Yeah unforntunately there just isnt enough info on MOMO seats. But a whole bunch on sparco, etc... The seat I am getting is from a buddy, I think he said it was a CUP or something. Hopefully someone chimes in.

chris
    Moderator: Retired
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan 5MT - Road Rally - Best 1/4mi: 13.954 @ 97.36mph (3448 lbs)
    2001 Mazda Miata 5MT - AutoX #99 (NNJ Region SCCA 2005 CStock Champion)
    1988 BMW 325 (2.7L "i" conversion) Sedan 5MT - Daily Driver (AutoX soon!)
    "If you can't drive this car fast you can't drive fast." --British Magazine, CAR, on the WRX

I can't get a good , informative thread on any seat installation!Not just here either.
    Maybe once you have it it all falls into place by the seat fairy!

I know this thread is old and fengshui probably has found the answer, but just in case, here it is...

The universal sliders you see advertised are junk. You would need to build around them to fit a WRX (or any car for that matter) and this could prove to be costly. Might as well buy the proper brackets made for your car to fit the seats. I would suggest calling Wedge Engineering, (562) 633-1663. If I am not mistaken, they make almost 100% of all the brackets out there made for Recaro and Sparco. Seat brackets are all they do. They can make trick custom ones as well like what I have. They're great guys to boot too.

Good luck,
    Neil
    Last edited by KayDeeRX; 08-21-2003 at 01:06 PM.

Good info is always appreciated at any time.
    Thanks Niel

Anytime. Wish I saw the post sooner.

I Support ClubWRX
    Uh no...you do not need custom made brackets for your seats in general.

First you have to figure out which seat and from which manufacturer you are getting. From there, you would know if the seat was bottom mounted or side mounted(most race seats, say most one piece made from fiberglass, CF or similar are side mounted). Thus, you'll need side mounts(decide steel or aluminum-about double the price). Side mounts can be found with varying adjustability in terms of height and sometimes slight tilt. Fortunately, Sparco, OMP, Momo, Recaro and many others(including Cobra-not sure about the GT sizes though) are pretty much interchangeable for side mounts. These side mounts can then be mounted to universal sliders(also offered by companies like Sparco). Most importantly, the base bracket fitting your car has to be purchased but companies have generally have ones that fit properly(and this is where the rest of the assembly bolt to). You do not need to fabricate nor hire a company to fabricate one for you unless you never want to be able to move your seat and fabricate a bracket mount that includes a fixed sidemount.

...and these mounts are made by Wedge Engineering.

The cheap universal sliders commonly available only locks on one side as opposed to the factory's two sides. These sliders would almost always need to be custom mounted on brackets that are readily available for your car since no consideration has been made in regards to bracket mountings. The sliders offered by Recaro and Sparco latches on two sides similar to the factory set-up and usually bolts on to aftermarket brackets quite easily. This is because these companies send their sliders to Wedge Engineering to have them produce the mounts/brackets that they need. Hence the similarity and universality of their sliders are due to the fact that only ONE company makes their brackets - Wedge Engineering.

If you bought the seats directly from the manufacturer and they came with the brackets they are almost certainly made by Wedge. If the seats are bought from a dealer, their brackets are ordered from and made by Wedge. If the seat did not come with brackets, you would need to order them. Ask anyone that knows and they will tell you to go to Wedge Engineering. Companies that say they make brackets order them from Wedge and charge a premium.

Like I have said, about 100% of all the aftermarket brackets used in America are made by...WEDGE Engineering.

How do I know? Because, I have bought a number of Sparcos and Recaros and these companies have told me this as a fact. As you can imagine, Wedge has brackets for every and any car out there. If they don't, they can make one for you like they do for the seat manufacturing companies.

So, yes, it is possible that you would not need custom brackets if Wedge has already made them. The point is to call them anyway. Dealing with them directly will surely save you time and money as they would not charge the common marked up price.
    Last edited by KayDeeRX; 08-21-2003 at 11:57 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    I have no doubt that Wedge Engineering is the supplier of brackets for the seat companies and I have no doubt about the quality of the products. My point is that no custom fabrication is needed(in general) and the bracket can be acquired from any of the brands listed-as they are the same. On top of the brackets do go universal sliders(perhaps the ones mentioned don't fit the bill) that you should make sure are FIA approved ones. On top of the sliders go the side mounts.