EGT...elec or mech?

This is a discussion on EGT...elec or mech? within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; What is the advantage of getting an electrical EGT gauge as opposed to a mechanical one? Does it have something ...

EGT...elec or mech?

What is the advantage of getting an electrical EGT gauge as opposed to a mechanical one? Does it have something to do with wiring or tapping? As always, thanks in advance
    Fahd

Floats like a butterfly and stings like when I pee!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They make different kinds??

I just installed my Blitz EGT gauge and it was electronic. Had to connect 4 wires to make it all work correctly. Really not all that hard to install.
    No one will truely be free until nerd persecution ends.

I'm really not concerned so much with the difficulty of the installation. I want to use this gauge, but it only comes in mechanical. I wanted to see if it would work just as well as an electric gauge.
    Fahd

I dunno if you want hot exhaust gasses coming in the cabin. I don't even know how it would work?

I can't believe HKS doesn't make any electrical gauges. I want them to match my indiglo gauges. Oh well, I suppose I'll just go with the Blitz BL gauges.
    Fahd

Nobody routes hot gasses into the cabin. There is a probe to install in the exhaust manifold with wires leading to the cabin. The function of how the gauge provides its reading is the the "electronic / mechanical" aspect.

Now, get somebody smarter than me to explain the difference between an electronic and a mechanical EGT gauge. I'm almost certain I know the difference but I'm not up to explaining this one except to say, the read out on the mechanical gauge is analog - a moving needle. The electronic gauge would probably include a digital read out and have no moving parts. In my mind, both are electronic devices of a sort.

X

Originally posted by MisterX
    Now, get somebody smarter than me to explain the difference between an electronic and a mechanical EGT gauge. I'm almost certain I know the difference but I'm not up to explaining this one except to say, the read out on the mechanical gauge is analog - a moving needle. The electronic gauge would probably include a digital read out and have no moving parts. In my mind, both are electronic devices of a sort.

X

Wow. This is easy. There is absolutely NO SUCH THING as a mechanical EGT gauges. All of them ar thermocouples. WRXin' Who the he11 tried to sell you a mechanical EGT? Do you mean the display or something? That would be analog vs. digital.

Here is a full listing.

-Jim

Thanks, Jim. I thought I was getting a little nuts when I read the "mechanical" EGT gauge stuff.

X

Thanks, Jim. I thought I was getting a little nuts when I read the "mechanical" EGT gauge stuff.

X
    I'll admit, i was stumped myself.

Same here, maybe its the old pump hot gas into the cabin and test it with your hand trick

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

If you clicked the link on th HKS page, they call the gauge "mechanical"!

What the hell are they thinking?

BTW, Joe, you have to press your forehaead against the hot gas. Like when you check a kid for fever. Hand's not sensitive enopugh.

X

Good call, what was I thinking!!

-joe
    '02 WRB Sedan

Removed silencer w/ Akimoto Velocity Stack, Blitz Dual TT, Autospeed Prototype Up-pipe w/ Flex-joint, Autospeed Crank Pulley, Autospeed OEM Dead Pedal, Samco IC Hoses, Axxis Pads, Goodridge Lines, Neo Synth Brake Fluid, Speedbleeders, Eibach Pro-Kit, Perrin Endlinks and Rear Sway, 17" Sub Zeros w/ 225/45 ES100s, Crucial Racing Thermostat and 1.4bar Radiator Cap, Autometer Sport-Comp Oil Pressure, EGT, and Voltmeter on the A-Pillar, STI Hoodscoop.

some companies have manual and electric gauges for fuel pressure, and for the manu. you have to run a fuel line into the cabin.
    http://go.to/TeamShiftPoint
    William Mai william@teamshiftpoint.com
    --TurboXS UTECS and other TXS parts.
    --Bride and Recaro racing seats
    --APEX'i, Blitz, HKS & GReddy Exhausts, RS*R / Invidia
    --All TEIN Suspensions special pricing.

If you clicked the link on th HKS page, they call the gauge "mechanical"!

What the hell are they thinking?
    Yeah, that link is what I was referring to. HKS makes a nice looking gauge, but it's mechanical. That's why I wanted to know the difference if any. So what do you guys think, go with the HKS or not? Again the link is in one of my posts up top.

TeamShiftPoint -- yeah, I've heard horror stories of the oil line bursting and people having oil spills inside their cabins. I'll py the extra $$$ for n elec fuel pressure gauge
    Fahd