Unplugged connector under dash?!

This is a discussion on Unplugged connector under dash?! within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I noticed a green connector that's unplugged under the dash of my new '02 WRX (see picture), is this normal? ...

Question Unplugged connector under dash?!

I noticed a green connector that's unplugged under the dash of my new '02 WRX (see picture), is this normal? My car has no dealer-installed upgrades.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unplugged.jpg  
    Randy
    www.randydellinger.com
    '05 STi
    '02 WRX, Cobb stage 1 (wife's ride)
    '94 Supra (for sale)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That is supposed to be un-connected. If I remember right it puts the ECU in diagnostic mode. It is under the dash by the ODB2 connector so a tech doesn't have to climb all around the car.

Justin
    Good judgement comes from experience,
    and experience comes from bad judgement.

Justin is correct (as usual). It is called the test mode connector. I connected the two sides together last night when I was trying to get my scan tool software to work and it lights up the check engine light. There are also one or two other connectors close to these also for test purposes.

Dale

Thanks for the info, I was wondered if someone forgot to plug it in at the factory! I've had my car exactly one week today.
    Randy
    www.randydellinger.com
    '05 STi
    '02 WRX, Cobb stage 1 (wife's ride)
    '94 Supra (for sale)

When I was a kid, I reached under the dashboard in my parents new car and plugged two unconnected wires together. It started a fire. I guess I had the same concern as you did...

So do these wire put the car into "Limp Home" mode? I wan't to find out how to do this so when I take the car to a mechanic or shop, I can put the car in Limp mode and they wouldn't be able to "Test drive" it.
    2002 Midnight Black WRX - EJ22 w/ VF30 and all the other stuff to go with it...

***ATTN: Speed Kills! Drive a Honda and live FOREVER. ***

Originally posted by pace
    When I was a kid, I reached under the dashboard in my parents new car and plugged two unconnected wires together. It started a fire. I guess I had the same concern as you did...
    hahhahahah thats hilarious!!! what hapened after?!
    free food is the best food

How do you get the car in limp mode? When it is in limp mode can i just reset the ecu to get it off?

Originally posted by JDMario

hahhahahah thats hilarious!!! what hapened after?!
    I think the car was an '83 or '84 Austin Metro, which was sold throughout the '80s and early '90s. They were similar in shape and size to a Geo Metro. Anyway, after connecting the wires I turned on the ignition, and nothing happened. At that point my younger brother and I started pushing various buttons. When I turned on the heater fan, plumes of choking white smoke came from under the dash. At that point we got out of the car...

The fire extinguished itself, but I recall having to explain to my mother why the car was full of smoke and why there was melted remains of wiring hanging from under the dash. The car was actually driveable once the wire was disconnected, but it had to go into the dealership for some work...

wooo I know this treat was talked about along time ago , but I have the same quesiton on 2003 wrx.
    I notice that the green one is unplug but I also have a black and gray plug(bigger than green) that came out of the same hose of the green one and right next to each other and also unplug is this normal?? Can you guys check under dash To c if its also unplug
    I look at the image and didnt notice the baclk and gray plug there mayb because I have 2003 WRX ..
    Plz Help..... Thanks in advance

I think that one of those is the OBDII diagnostic connector. I don't have my car right now (in body shop) to check but I remember them from last year when I was messing around down there on my 02.

Dale