Ignition Push Start
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Ignition Push Start within the Interior Mods forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i wanted to put an ignition push start in my car but i don't want to spend the money to ...

Question Ignition Push Start

i wanted to put an ignition push start in my car but i don't want to spend the money to pay for a kit that's tacky looking. well, i don't know a whole lot about wiring and i was wondering if someone could help me out. does anyone know what i need to do to have a push switch start the ignition? i was wondering if i could run something in parallel off the existing ignition so that you can still star it with the key and the mechanics or family driving my car don't get all confused. well, if anyone can help me with what wires to use that would help a lot. thanks...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Like this? This is the button from a S2000 in my miata. They way I had it installed was so that you would still have to turn the key to the on position and then push the button. It kinda works as security people couldn't start the car even thou the button was red, lit, and said engine start on it. I have thought about it for the rex but don't really see a nice location and I don't know if it would really fit in. There was something about that classic little rodster of mine which felt right being started up that way. Damn I miss that car.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s2000 button 3.jpg  
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    1997 Mazda Miata STO Edition #774-1500 (Sold)
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

...and another, also it only cost me 40 bucks 35 for the button and then another 5 for a relay and some wire from autozone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails s2000 button 4.jpg  
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

yea, that's exactly what i want to do, but i don't want the button to be so obvious. i was thinking about taking one of the blanks next to the cruise control and turning it into the the push start.

so, you say it needs a relay? so that means that i can't just hook some wires up to the existing ignition??

any of these blanks, and does anyone know where i can get an actual button? i want to use the actual button, but if not, i was just going to use the blank.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails campic62.jpg  

or one of these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails campic63.jpg  

Yeah you are basically splicing into the start position on the stock switch but you need the relay so it doesn't fry the switch. You don't want all that current flowing thru the switch. Now that I think about it right there by the handbrake maybe a nice spot!
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

do you have a wiring diagram of your push start for the miata? and do you know what kind of relay i need?

Sure thing these are the instructioins I used and the relay I bought from autozone was fog light relay I believe 15amp. It was by those cheap fog lights they sell there. Good Luck and post pics because you got me thinking about it too.

Miata Pushbotton Instructions
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

thanks for the help. now i've got a weekend project, whoo hoo!!

No promblem!
    --Tony

2002.5 Mazda Protege5
    2003 WRX Silver Sedan
    -STi Grill
    -STi Projectors
    -Aust Spec 17' wheels

i have just any old 25 amp nice lookin toggle switch for my engine start on my console..you dont need to deal with relays and crap and high amperage switches and crap.

hey guys, Im really interested in this, so please if one of you guys does this, post pics and detailed instructions...thanx!!
    WHooOOSH

~ 555 ~

North Hills (Northridge, Granada Hills area), CA
    Check out the Zero Sports Start Button for the Subbies. Do a google on it and you should be able to find a review of it that shows that it is plug and play. The review said there no need to splice or cut any of the ignition wires and that the Zero Sports kit was really plug and play. The red button (smaller and not as nice as the S2000's) was placed in one of the blanks next to the cruise control.

Have fun.

-HD

Mercedes is coming out with a model where the start button is on the top of the shift knob. Just flip open the top and press the button like a fighter jet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.